1. Carrick High School students had an idea: Wear hoodies in honor of Trayvon Martin, the teenager shot and killed in 2012 by George Zimmerman.
The fatal shooting of the unarmed black teenager last year touched off a debate around the United States over racial profiling and self-defense. Zimmerman was eventually found not guilty of murdering the unarmed teenager.
3. But some were uneasy about how students would treat each other. “I am a little worried about that with the different people, how they’re going to react,” said mother Jennifer Kagle.
Not all parents agreed. “If they want to wear the hoodies to represent him and the kind of person he was, they should do it,” father Bruce Bergener said.
4. In the end, the homecoming committee decided to scrap the event.
“It brought up some controversy to the point where there were people giving mixed signals about it,” said Javon Jordan to CBS Pittsburgh.
5. Jordan says instead they decided to have students wear Pirates hats to bring everybody together as a whole.
“It shows a lot of maturity on their end,” Principal Chakey said.
- A luxury event called Fyre Festival has turned into a total shitshow. "I think the festival took on a life of its own," the event's co-founder said 😱
- American Airlines gave workers a raise — to the highest pay in the industry — and Wall Street is furious. The company's stock has been falling since Thursday.
- We found an average of about one false statement per day from Trump and his aides throughout the president's first 100 days in office 💯
- A teen had a remarkably petty response when her ex asked for his prom money back: She paid him in all pennies 😏