1. Carrick High School students had an idea: Wear hoodies in honor of Trayvon Martin, the teenager shot and killed in 2012 by George Zimmerman.
The fatal shooting of the unarmed black teenager last year touched off a debate around the United States over racial profiling and self-defense. Zimmerman was eventually found not guilty of murdering the unarmed teenager.
3. But some were uneasy about how students would treat each other. “I am a little worried about that with the different people, how they’re going to react,” said mother Jennifer Kagle.
Not all parents agreed. “If they want to wear the hoodies to represent him and the kind of person he was, they should do it,” father Bruce Bergener said.
4. In the end, the homecoming committee decided to scrap the event.
“It brought up some controversy to the point where there were people giving mixed signals about it,” said Javon Jordan to CBS Pittsburgh.
5. Jordan says instead they decided to have students wear Pirates hats to bring everybody together as a whole.
“It shows a lot of maturity on their end,” Principal Chakey said.
- For the second day in California, protests against Donald Trump grew heated as demonstrators briefly overcame a police barricade.
- The U.S. Navy will now let sailors wear neck tattoos and sleeves, in an effort to maintain its appeal among young people ⚓️
- And do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz 💯