1. Several militia groups have mobilized across border states in response to the influx of unaccompanied minors from Central America.
2. The photos provided to BuzzFeed by a group that helps organize the militias shows one group patrolling with guns and gear. They have 10 teams on the ground in Texas, three in Arizona, and one in California.
3. State Sen. Leticia Van de Putte, who is running for lieutenant governor, said the militias are inspired by Republican rhetoric on the border.
4. “The presence of these outside independent militia groups does nothing to secure the border; it only creates an unsafe situation for law enforcement officials that are protecting our communities,” she said.
“Unfortunately, the vile rhetoric of my opponent inspires misguided efforts. Pointing guns at children solves nothing,” she added.
5. U.S. Customs and Border Protection has said they do not “endorse or support any private group or organization from taking matters into their own hands as it could have disastrous personal and public safety consequences,” the Houston Chronicle reported.
6. One picture, though, shows a border patrol agent giving militia members directions.
7. A spokesperson at Patriots Information Hotline told BuzzFeed things are going swimmingly, but they want help.
8. “Everything is pretty well and good,” said Barbie Rogers of the Patriots Information Hotline. “We’re trying to get more property owners so that we can cycle people in and out, because a lot of people don’t understand, we’re doing this with our own money.”
Patriots Information Hotline acts as a resource for those who also want to take up arms and join the cause at the border.
9. “There are some that can only afford to go down there for three days and then they have to go home. Some guys go down for a week. Whatever they can manage, we have to cycle the guys in and out,” Rogers added.
10. In a deleted 21-minute YouTube video, the commander of one of the groups, Secure our Borders, detailed how to stop undocumented immigrants — with guns.
“How? You see an illegal. You point your gun dead at him, right between his eyes, and you say, ‘Get back across the border or you will be shot,’” Chris Davis said.
11. Otherwise, the militia is keeping busy with Bust the Bank, a campaign where “we’re asking everybody to sign up and take all your money out of the bank.”
They are also meeting for a rally in Murrieta, Calif., on Aug. 1, the scene of earlier protests to stop buses full of children from dropping them off there, and heading to Laredo, Texas, on Aug. 2.
- Donald Trump signed a sweeping executive order that dismantles many Obama era climate change regulations.
- The Republican chair of the House probe into Russia and Trump should step down after secretly meeting with a source at the White House, say top Democrats.
- The Trump White House has a habit of taking credit for business deals struck under Obama, as they did today with a Ford investment plan from 2015.
- The Scottish parliament has voted for an independence referendum that could result in Scotland leaving the UK.