1. West Orange High School students in Orlando, Florida, chose Semone Adkins and Bubba Hunter as homecoming queen and king, a couple with Down syndrome.
“This makes my heart SO happy!” wrote Elizabeth James, 17. “So proud of the student body at West Orange High School for making these 2 down-syndrome teens their Homecoming Queen and King tonight!”
2. It’s the first time two students with Down syndrome were awarded the honor in Florida, the Down Syndrome Association of Central Florida told WFTV.
5. The couple’s mothers were overjoyed.
“I am so happy. Words cannot express what I am feeling right now. I am so proud of him,” Hunter’s mother, Janice Morgan, said to WFTV. “We love you guys.”
“She is a beautiful girl. Not just outside but inside also,” said Karen McNeil, Adkins’ mother.
7. The hero we need.
- Jury deadlocked in trial of Michael Slager, former South Carolina police officer charged with murder in fatal shooting of Walter Scott.
- The US Commission on Civil Rights will visit the campsite where people have protested the Dakota Access Pipeline for months.
- Donald Trump and his supporters have filed lawsuits to stop Jill Stein's vote recount in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin.
- Mall of America, the largest mall in the country, is hosting its first ever black Santa 🎅🏿