2. The country is in South America and Ecuadorians speak Spanish.
3. Fun fact: They’re also the largest exporter of bananas in the world.
5. They really get into it.
6. Ecuador previously made the World Cup in 2002 and 2006.
8. David Beckham had the deciding goal with this ridiculous free kick.
9. Their player to watch this year is captain Antonio Valencia who has a heavy heart and big shoes to fill.
10. Christian “Chucho” Benitez, Ecuador’s leading scorer in the qualifiers, and a close friend of Valencia died last year suddenly of a heart attack.
11. Valencia got a tattoo in memory of his friend.
12. The team is in group E, with strong contender Switzerland, former champion France, and Honduras, a team that isn’t expected to do very well.
13. The team’s coach is Colombian Reinaldo Rueda. Here he is being intense.
14. Everyone thinks Switzerland and France will battle for first and second, but Ecuador which rose to 10th in FIFA’s rankings last year, thinks it can shock the world like it did in 2006.
- Top Democrats in Congress are demanding House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes remove himself from the investigation into Russian interference in the election.
- After Donald Trump and the Republicans spectacularly failed to repeal Obamacare, Wall Street now realizes that massive tax cuts may not happen 😅 💸
- Over 18,000 households in Flint, Michigan, will receive new water lines, more than two years after dangerous levels of lead were found in the city's water supply.
- Samsung announced plans to refurbish and sell some of the 4.3 million explosive Galaxy Note7 phones it recalled last year📱🔥