2. In the lawsuit, Gwen Goodwin details what she believes the bird really was.
The mural depicted a decapitated and wooden-sword-stabbed bird of prey, on information and belief, and according to neighbors of Puerto Rican and other backgrounds, in the Caribbean culture, this constituted a curse and a death threat, as a swastika or a noose would symbolize typically to many Jews or African Americans, respectively.
4. Goodwin, who came in sixth in the Democratic primary, 26 points behind Viverito, said the intended purpose of the mural was to inflict harm on her and it worked.
She said that she suddenly got a blood clot in her foot and that a close friend began “acting crazy” right after the mural went up.
“I really felt that people needed to understand who they were giving power to as the next most powerful person behind the mayor of New York City,” Goodwin told the New York Post, making it clear that the timing of the lawsuit was because Mark-Viverito is a frontrunner to be the next city council speaker.
5. “These desperate and ridiculous allegations by a failed political opponent of Melissa are false, absurd and a waste of the court’s precious time,” said Mark-Viverito’s spokesman Eric Koch.
“It’s sad but expected that Melissa’s opponents are resorting to these kinds of tactics,” Koch said.
6. The councilwoman took it all in stride.
Darn! My little secret revealed! RT: @SeamusCampbell: Melissa Mark-Viverito is a voodoo temptress?! http://t.co/HWxg0JoNDC #cantmakethisup
Gracias #nypost for putting a smile on my face this morning! #LaBrujaDelBarrio
8. She retweeted outrage from supporters.
@MMViverito I can’t believe cultural painting was compared 2 a swastika & nuse The comment demonstrates her ignorance #DreamingOfHateCrimes
@MMViverito I find her remarks offensive & racist. She can’t be qualified to represent the diversity that is NYC.
10. Community leaders, including the founder of the National Institute for Latino Policy, Angelo Falcón, came to her defense, blasting the stories by major New York tabloids.
Both the New York Post and the Daily News owe not only Melissa Mark Viverito, but the whole Puerto Rican and Caribbean population of this city an apology for this disgusting stereotyping and partisan political reporting.
11. h/t: Latino Rebels
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.
- A Kansas man shot three people after allegedly yelling "get out of my country." He thought two of them were Middle Eastern, but they weren't.
- Beyoncé is backing out of Coachella under doctors' advice. But she plans to headline the festival again in 2018 😭🐝