1. Heading into the Olympics, Russia has drawn ire for its anti-LGBT laws, been criticized for cracking down on activists and journalists, and been faulted for its unpreparedness. The latest travesty: Denying Team USA a shipment of Chobani yogurt.
The Russian federation’s federal service for veterinary and phytosanitary surveillance has yet to allow the yogurt, which is currently being stored in a warehouse at Newark International Airport in New Jersey, to be delivered to Russia.
2. New York Sen. Chuck Schumer said U.S. Olympians need their New York-made Greek yogurt.
“With the Sochi Olympic Games starting at the end of this week, there is simply no time to waste in getting our Olympic athletes and employees a nutritious and delicious breakfast – Chobani Greek Yogurt,” Schumer said in a statement to the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle.
3. In a letter to Ambassador Sergey Kislyak, Schumer called the situation an “urgent issue.”
“The Russian Federation should accept the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)’s AMS sanitary certificate for a one-time non-commercial shipment of Chobani Greek yogurt to U.S. athletes and staff,” he wrote.
4. Chobani told BuzzFeed they are an Olympic sponsor and an authentic part of Team USA training regimens.
“Right now, 5,000 fresh single-serve cups of blueberry, strawberry and peach Chobani, and multi-serve containers of plain Chobani yogurt for smoothies, are being stored in a temperature-controlled facility, waiting for the final go-ahead from Russian authorities to be immediately transported,” the company said in a statement.
5. Schumer went on to say that he understands the need for food safety standards for dairy products, but the U.S. government has confirmed the yogurt will be safe for consumption by American citizens at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
“As the world looks forward to a successful 2014 Winter Olympics, I urge your country’s immediate approval of the entry of this shipment of Chobani Greek yogurt,” he concluded.
- The election is really, really over now: Jill Stein has dropped her Pennsylvania recount request, making Donald Trump the absolute winner.
- At least 9 are dead and 25 missing after a warehouse party fire in Oakland, CA. Dozens of fatalities are feared.
- Cuba prepares to bury Fidel Castro: his ashes arrived in Santiago Saturday, the city where he declared his socialist revolution victorious.
- This 23--year-old got her lost driver's license back in the mail along with a hilarious thank you note 📝😂