1. The “Little Children, Big Challenges: Incarceration,” project seeks to support young children and families who are experiencing this life-changing circumstance, Sesame Street said in a statement.
They cited a statistic from a Bureau of Justice Statistics report entitled “Parents in prison and their minor children,” which says the number of children with an incarcerated parent has increased nearly 80 percent in the past 20 years.
2. Here is a little bit of the bilingual (English and Spanish) initiative.
The program is distributing “tool kits’’ to schools, community centers and jails in 10 states to help kids ages 3 to 8. There are also apps for iPhone and Android.
4. On Twitter many said they understood why the program exists, but found it sad nonetheless.
This is horribly depressing. Sesame Street helps kids cope with incarceration of parents. - Dr. Q http://t.co/VvFwhV9lrW
Man. It’s just heartbreaking that there would be a need for this. But good on them for doing it. http://t.co/ClMozwsYcb
6. Libertarian magazine, Reason, had this response:
CONGRATULATIONS, AMERICA, ON MAKING IT ALMOST NORMAL TO HAVE A PARENT IN PRISON OR JAIL: http://t.co/R8iXEgmlYW
7. Sesame Street says defense contractor BAE Systems is a major donor for the project, which the Atlantic Wire calls “the most awkward part.”
The British contractor, whose U.S. subsidiary is one of the largest suppliers to the Department of Defense, depends — like many other defense contractors — on the low-overhead labor of prisoners incarcerated at for-profit facilities. That said, BAE has a large philanthropic arm, and perhaps “Little Children, Big Challenges” was one of the more obvious projects to support.
- President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump had their first dance to Frank Sinatra's "My Way" at an inaugural ball 🇺🇸
- On his first day in office President Trump signed an executive order to "minimize the economic burden" of the Affordable Care Act.
- Over 200 people were arrested as anti-Trump protesters and police clashed in Washington, DC, during the inauguration.
- Flights around the country are packed with pink as people stream into the nation's capital for the Women's March on Washington 👭 💖