1. Update — April 15, 2:25 p.m. ET:
2. The Rotterdam police said that the Dutch teen was released Tuesday, April 15, after an initial court hearing.
3. Dutch police had arrested the teenager Monday after she tweeted threats to American Airlines is in custody.
4. An official spokesperson told Business Insider:
We’re not in a state that we can communicate any state of charges at this point, we just thought it was neccessary to bring this out mostly because of the fact that it caused a great deal of interest on the Internet.
5. Twitter’s Guidelines for Law Enforcement say user information may be turned over “if there is an exigent emergency that involves the danger of death or serious physical injury to a person that Twitter may have information necessary to prevent.”
6. On Sunday, a 14-year-old named Sarah tweeted the following:
She deleted the initial tweet on Sunday. Her entire account has since disappeared from Twitter. Twitter would not comment on whether it had removed the account and referred BuzzFeed to its Guidelines for Law Enforcement.
8. American Airlines was not amused.
American Airlines deleted its tweet.
17. She made decent points.
18. And others that were not so good.
20. A Twitter public policy employee said American Airlines wouldn’t have the information it was purportedly sending over to authorities in the first place.
21. Regardless, one user pretty much captured why this was a bad idea in the first place.
22. The trouble Sarah seems to have gotten herself into has not deterred dozens of copycat tweeters.
25. BuzzFeed reached out to Sarah for comment on Sunday, but received no response.
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- Uber's CEO met with more than 100 female engineers on Thursday to discuss sexism and harassment allegations at the company.
- Beyoncé is backing out of Coachella under doctors' advice. But she plans to headline the festival again in 2018 😭🐝