1. This photo of a Donald Trump clothing line shows it was manufactured in Mexico.
2. The image is from this woman’s Facebook post.
4. Some people modified the photo.
5. In a statement he issued Wednesday after Macy’s dropped his clothing line, Trump said he has “never been happy” about his clothes being made abroad.
6. Still, people feel that image says it all.
7. BuzzFeed News spoke with Gabriel Sanchez, who posted the original photo.
Sanchez told BuzzFeed New he was surprised to see the photo of his suit take off like it did.
“I’m still amazed at the reach and how this happened,” said Sanchez, who works in communications in Los Angeles.
The third generation Mexican-American was on a train from Orange County to Downtown LA when he looked at the tag inside his suit. Sanchez thought about looking days before, thinking it would be funny if it was made in China or Mexico.
“I took a look and I was floored,” he said. “It captured the whole tension and showed Trump’s hypocrisy.”
Sanchez said he bought the double-vented suit a year ago at Macy’s. He never had a need to wear it until he started a new job recently.
Some people told him they couldn’t believe he owned a Trump suit, others asked if he plans on burning it. The 43-year-old said has no plans to burn the suit he paid about $400 for.
He hopes the picture sparked a conversation about the importance of words.
“What you say matters, it has an impact,” Sanchez said. “We have freedom of speech, that’s why I love America, but you don’t have freedom from consequences.”
Still, Trump’s ratings have gone up in New Hampshire and Iowa, crucial primary states for the presidential hopeful.
- Kim Jong Nam, the half-brother of North Korea's leader, was killed with a chemical weapon last week at an airport in Malaysia.
- Caitlyn Jenner told President Trump his administration's rollback of protections for transgender kids was a "disaster" 😳
- Uber's CEO met with more than 100 female engineers on Thursday to discuss sexism and harassment allegations at the company.
- Beyoncé is backing out of Coachella under doctors' advice. But she plans to headline the festival again in 2018 😭🐝