1. @uscapitol shuts down
Due to a lapse in government funding, this account will not be active until further notice.— U.S. Capitol (@uscapitol) October 1, 2013
2. @NASAVoyager2 sasses all of its followers
Due to government shutdown, we will not be posting or responding from this account. Farewell, humans. Sort it out yourselves.— NASAVoyager2 (@NASAVoyager2) October 1, 2013
4. @UNITEDSTATES parody account makes possibly the best 12-character statement of the night
CTRL+ALT+DEL— The United States (@UNlTEDSTATES) October 1, 2013
5. @JoshHelfferich (formerly @TextOnlyInstagram) puts out a call to arms…
NOW’S YOUR CHANCE ENGLAND— Josh Helfferich (@JoshHelfferich) October 1, 2013
7. @mattyglesias offers what seems like a reasonable middle ground option
How about a compromise—GOP agrees to fund the government and Dems agree to cancel the death panels?— Matt Yglesias (@mattyglesias) October 1, 2013
8. Of course, some folks like @halphillips have seen all of this before
all the government shutdown jokes on twitter are the same government shutdown jokes i saw on message boards during the ’90s shutdown— Hal Phillips (@halphillips) October 1, 2013
9. @bredalot, a literary agent, asks the important questions
So, how long do we wait after a government shutdown before we start forcing teenagers to kill each other for spectacle?— Bridget Smith (@bredalot) October 1, 2013
10. @cdespinosa points out that this whole situation actually ISN’T funny — rather, it’s actually pretty much bad news bears
No quips or snark from me. A government shutdown due to a failed attempt to roll back health insurance us tragic and stupid, not funny.— Chris Espinosa (@cdespinosa) October 1, 2013
- One person died and more than 100 others were injured after a commuter train crashed into a New Jersey Transit station in Hoboken.
- Fans of Donald Trump say Bill Clinton's past indiscretions are fair game at the next debate.
- Asos workers at the heart of its global retail empire say they're being treated like machines to deliver fast fashion.