1. Early May: Green Day’s “Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)” is used as a high school graduation song for the first time.
…and it will be the graduation song for every school in existence for the rest of history.
3. May 6: Madonna sees a “Ray of Light” and gets mystical. You bought a red bracelet because Madonna wore one.
5. May 19: Brandy and Monica fight over the boy.
7. May 26: 5ive tantalized you with thoughts of what might happen after the lights go out.
8. May 28: B*Witched said “that’s life,” except in French. There was also something about a tree house.
10. May 31: An era comes to an end when Geri Halliwell DISAPPEARS from the public eye and her representative confirms she’s left the Spice Girls.
That summer, “Viva Forever” is released as their final single as a full group.
12. June 6: Pras “introduces” Mya on “Ghetto Superstar.” Look at her down there in the corner. Hi Mya.
14. June 16: Jennifer Page has a little crush, NBD.
16. July 1: Armageddon is released and it features Aerosmith’s “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing,” the song you saved your money to buy the cassingle of.
20. July 20: Already a massive hit, “My Heart Will Go On” is remixed and rereleased. It’s the best selling single of 1998, and by Christmas you’d kill to never hear it again.
But guess what, you’re about to:
22. July 5: At 15, Billie Piper is the youngest British solo artist to debut at #1 on the UK singles charts with “Because We Want To”.
24. August 11: Sixpence None the Richer’s “Kiss Me” is released and becomes the theme to She’s All That starring Rachael Leigh Cook. Both Sixpence and Rachael have been missing since 1998.
If you have any information, please call the National Hotline for Missing ’90s Starlets.
26. August 18: KoЯn’s album Follow the Leader debuts at number 1, launching nu metal into the mainstream. Nu metal only lasts several years, but KoЯn releases eight more albums anyway.
27. August 25: The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill changes your life, your best friend’s life, your mom’s life, your cat’s life, EVERYONE’S LIFE.
31. September 10: Natalie Imbruglia wins Best New Artist at the MTV VMA’s.
33. September 14: Total Request Live airs for the first time on MTV. It’s a day Carson Daly would probably like to forget.
34. September 15: Marilyn Manson enters his glam phase with “The Dope Show.” You mom finds your copy of Mechanical Animals and side eyes you all through dinner.
38. September 22: Shawn Mullins closes out an incredible summer by singing you to sleep with his “Lullaby.”
40. Jame out to summer 1998 all over again:
Correction: a previous version of this post included Will Smith’s “Wild Wild West.” That song is from 1999, and was removed.
- Trump may have initially blamed Democrats for Friday's failed health care bill, but it took only 2 days for him to start blaming Republicans, too.
- South Korean prosecutors have reportedly asked a judge to issue an arrest warrant for former President Park Geun-hye.
- "Orange Is The New Black" actor Samira Wiley and writer Lauren Morelli officially tied the knot in Palm Springs 🌴
- And Muslims in Birmingham told BuzzFeed News what it's like in the city that finds itself under the spotlight because of the murderous actions of London attacker Khalid Masood.