3. In Fiji, food was pickled in holes in the ground lined with banana leaves. Parents wouldn’t let their daughters marry a guy unless he had impressive pickle pits and beautiful pickles.
10. The Department of Agriculture estimates that the average American eats 8.5 lbs of pickles a year, which is only about 1% the amount of pickles you should be eating.
12. In the original Rugrats pilot, Tommy Pickles was an actual pickle. In fact, all the characters were pickles and the show was called Pickle Rats.
14. Speaking of people who discovered a continent that was already inhabited, Amerigo Vespucci was a merchant before he became an explorer.
15. One night in 1973, Phil Spector got so drunk that he gave a record deal to a pickle. The pickle had one hit song, “Pretty Little Pickle Eyes,” which reached number 7 on the charts.
17. Thomas Jefferson once wrote on his Tumblr: “On a hot day in Virginia, I know nothing more comforting than a fine spiced pickle, brought up trout-like from the sparkling depths of the aromatic jar below the stairs of Aunt Sally’s cellar.”
- A Trump official says the campaign has "three major voter suppression operations underway."
- The Obama administration delayed trans workers' protections for years after a landmark civil rights decision 🔎🌈
- RIP — Vine says it's discontinuing its mobile app, effectively ending the 6-second video service 💀
- Apple has announced new, lighter-than-ever MacBooks with touch-sensitive strips at its fall event 📱 🍎