3. In Fiji, food was pickled in holes in the ground lined with banana leaves. Parents wouldn’t let their daughters marry a guy unless he had impressive pickle pits and beautiful pickles.
10. The Department of Agriculture estimates that the average American eats 8.5 lbs of pickles a year, which is only about 1% the amount of pickles you should be eating.
12. In the original Rugrats pilot, Tommy Pickles was an actual pickle. In fact, all the characters were pickles and the show was called Pickle Rats.
14. Speaking of people who discovered a continent that was already inhabited, Amerigo Vespucci was a merchant before he became an explorer.
15. One night in 1973, Phil Spector got so drunk that he gave a record deal to a pickle. The pickle had one hit song, “Pretty Little Pickle Eyes,” which reached number 7 on the charts.
17. Thomas Jefferson once wrote on his Tumblr: “On a hot day in Virginia, I know nothing more comforting than a fine spiced pickle, brought up trout-like from the sparkling depths of the aromatic jar below the stairs of Aunt Sally’s cellar.”
- Donald Trump claims Google's search engine was biased in burying bad news about his rival Hillary Clinton.
- Asos workers at the heart of its global retail empire say they're being treated like machines to deliver fast fashion.
- "Hamilton" pulled back the curtain on race and Broadway, but these actors show how far theater still has to go 🎭