1. In Italy, never order cappuccino after a meal.
Italians never order a milk beverage after a meal because milk hinders digestion. Instead, they’ll opt for straight espresso or coffee. No one’s going to be outraged at you for ordering a cappuccino, but you might be branded a tourist.
2. In China, never flip a fish.
Flipping a whole fish after eating one side is considered bad luck, as it’s associated with a capsized fishing boat, and that makes total sense. Instead, remove the bones completely if you want to get to the other side, or just stare at that delicious fish meat taunting you from your plate.
8. When visiting friends in Nigeria’s Kagoro tribe, don’t even think of asking for a spoon if you’re a woman.
According to Margaret Visser in The Rituals of Dinner, women aren’t allowed spoons. Everyone knows spoons lead to insurgency.
13. When vacationing in Ancient Greece, only eat meat slaughtered via ritual sacrifice.
Léopold Migeotte explains in The Economy of Greek Cities that animals were sacrificed to the gods before consuming their meat, and the bones and fat of the animal were set aside for deities.
15. In Britain and America, do all the right things with your teaspoon or risk great shame.
1. When stirring, never touch the sides of your cup with the spoon.
2. Don’t leave your spoon in the teacup.
3. Place your spoon on your saucer, facing the same direction as the cup handle.
4. Sip tea in complete terror and try your best to avoid faux pas.
17. In London, it’s OK to fart (as long as you’re a giant and you’re eating snozzcumbers and drinking frobscottle).
- Former Secretary of State Colin Powell said he's voting for Hillary Clinton, joining a growing list of top-ranking Republicans who are breaking rank.
- Election forecasts are everywhere these days, but what do they really mean? Here's what they tell us 🔍
- The New York Giants have released kicker Josh Brown after he admitted to abusing his wife in his journal.
- The first Gilmore Girls trailer is finally here and it looks like Luke and Lorelai are together 💛☕️