For the past year, Johnstone has been traveling to the Wake County Animal Center in Raleigh and bringing the homeless dogs there to the local landfill for an individual portrait session. Here are some of the portraits.
2. Below are the dogs who are still looking for a permanent home.
Johnstone chose the landfill as the backdrop for her project to draw attention to the fact that the landfill is where euthanized pets are buried, and because “the county animal shelter falls under the same management as the landfill,” reflecting a belief that these homeless creatures are simply another form of waste.
17. She also makes sure to update followers of her project when a dog finds a permanent home.
27. Through her photos, Johnstone hopes to capture the hope and beauty in each of these creatures and inspire viewers to consider providing a permanent home for the animals in their local shelters.
H/T My Modern Met
- The Clinton campaign is trying to stop television stations from running a pro-Trump ad featuring Michelle Obama.
- A federal jury cleared the leaders of an Oregon standoff. The militia group took over a wildlife refuge last January.
- An airplane carrying Republican VP candidate Mike Pence skidded off the runway at New York City's LaGuardia airport. No one was injured.
- RIP — Vine says it's discontinuing its mobile app, effectively ending the 6-second video service 💀