Steven Spielberg’s decision to make American Sniper his next directing project comes as something of a surprise. The filmmaker has rarely drawn on contemporary subject matter, preferring instead to dip back into history (Lincoln, Munich, Saving Private Ryan, etc.) for his human-scaled dramas. Although he’s also signing on as a producer, Spielberg is coming to American Sniper — a biopic about real-life super soldier Chris Kyle, the deadliest sniper in American military history — as something of (pardon the pun) a hired gun; Bradley Cooper has already spent a year developing the project as a starring vehicle through his production company after acquiring the rights to Kyle’s book of the same name.
Kyle’s life was incredibly complex, cinematic — and ultimately tragic. It’s no surprise that Spielberg would want to tell his story.
1. Kyle killed so many people during his career as a Navy SEAL — 160 — that Iraqi insurgents nicknamed him the Devil of Ramadi.
And that’s only his confirmed kills. Some reports put his tally almost twice as high. He told Time magazine last year that he does not regret any of them.
2. Kyle did four tours in Iraq, earning the Silver Star twice, and the Bronze Star five times.
As a D Magazine profile put it, “He survived six IED attacks, three gunshot wounds, two helicopter crashes, and more surgeries than he could remember.”
3. In 2010, he reportedly killed two armed assailants at a gas station.
He allegedly did it with his back to them, firing from under his armpit. You read that right.
7. On Feb. 2, 2013, Kyle was killed by a 25-year-old Marine allegedly suffering from PTSD.
Kyle had taken Eddie Ray Routh to a Texas shooting range, reportedly to help him work out his trauma. Instead Routh turned the gun on Kyle and another man named Chad Littlefield, killing them both. Kyle was 38 years old.
9. The funeral procession included 200 vehicles, which drove 200 miles across Texas to where he was buried in Austin.
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Years Day has been captured, Turkish media reports.
- At least 40 Democrats are boycotting Donald Trump's inauguration after the president-elect criticized civil rights leader John Lewis.
- Umm. Over half of the population across 22 countries believe their system is failing and rigged, a new poll says 🌎🤔
- Spencer's is getting flooded with criticism for selling "Grab America By The Pussy" shirts, which many are saying normalizes sexual assault.