It is really hard to dislike the Smurfs. They’re so smurfing adorable!
But The Smurfs 2 is smurfed to the smurf with smurf-related puns — these are the worst offenders:
1. “It has 101 likes on Smurfbook!”
2. Said to a kissing human couple: “Hey, get a schroom!”
That actually has a (hopefully unintended) double meaning!
3. “I was like Meryl Smurfenstreep!”
4. “I call that crêpe smurfsette!”
The movie is largely set in Paris — which makes this line even more of a groaner, if possible.
As in “opportunities.” Right.
8. “He’s blue-tiful!”
Oddly, the very worst puns aren’t smurf-related at all. They’re the result of Gargamel turning Neil Patrick Harris’ stepdad into a duck. (Look, just go with it.)
9. First of all, there’s this one.
Look, Vanity Smurf, calling attention to the pun doesn’t really make it any better.
10. Then there’s what Neil Patrick Harris tells his step-dad after he sets a flock of ducks free from a French kitchen: “What are you, Martin Luther Wing?”
But the absolute worst of the worst occurs right after NPH’s stepdad becomes a duck.
Here it comes…
11. “That was ducked up!”
- The death toll from Italy's earthquake rose to 247 people amid efforts to dig out residents still trapped in rubble.
- Brexit leader Nigel Farage drew parallels between British citizens' vote to leave the European Union and some Americans' support for Trump.
- US Soccer suspended Hope Solo for 6 months after she called Sweden's team "cowards" during the Rio Olympics ❌⚽️