SAN DIEGO — The new trailer for The Hunger Games: Catching Fire premiered Saturday afternoon at Comic-Con International, along with the first appearance at the massive fan convention for the Hunger Games cast. Here some of the highlights from the trailer, along with some insights from the panel itself.
1. The budget is clearly much bigger.
The trailer was chockablock with big visual effects vistas of the Capitol, directly addressing a common fan complaint that The Hunger Games skimped too much on the spectacle of the world itself.
But for her part, Jennifer Lawrence also spoke highly of how motivating working on movies with tiny budgets can be. "I really think there can be something said for having too much money," she said. But she did add that on big budget studio films, "Their food is a lot better, and the trailers are bigger." So: balance!
2. The love triangle is definitely heating up.
The romantic tension between Katniss (Lawrence), Gale (Liam Hemsworth), and Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) does indeed heat up in the sequel, as Katniss and Peeta deal with the fallout from their possibly faux romance from The Hunger Games.
"It was an act," said Hutcherson on the panel.
"It was complicated," countered Lawrence.
"It was an act!" insisted Hutcherson, before shaking his head with a chuckle. "We're not getting into this."
3. But Gale clearly suffers more than Peeta.
4. The costumes are even more elaborate — like Katniss' mockingjay dress.
5. With Katniss and Peeta spending even more time together on screen, Lawrence and Hutcherson's off-screen friendship was in full bloom.
6. Cinna's presence will definitely be felt.
7. The new arena was even more intense.
The cast said they all enjoyed shooting many of the new arena scenes in Hawaii, but the training for them sounded even tougher for the actors than it was for the last film. For some, perhaps more than others.
"The hardest stunt is probably just basic running," Lawrence said. Bless her.