1. During the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia, American automaker Chevrolet debuted two ads that included LGBT couples and families.
One ad featured real couples via social media, like Francis and Cassius, whose wedding video has been on Vimeo since Sept., 2012.
5. The ads are the latest pointed display of support for LGBT rights from an American company in the face of Russia’s anti-LGBT laws.
“Recent LGBT-inclusive ads like these not only raise the bar for the advertising industry,” said GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis in a statement, “but also reflect the growing support and acceptance of LGBT people. It’s about time my children were able to turn on the television and see families like their own represented in mainstream advertising.”
6. Watch both ads here:
- An armed militant group is urging its members to patrol polling stations on election day, a move the group's leaders say is aimed at preventing voter fraud.
- RIP — Vine says it's discontinuing its mobile app, effectively ending the 6-second video service 💀
- The Obama administration delayed trans workers' protections for years after a landmark civil rights decision 🔎🌈
- Apple is expected to unveil a handful of updates to its Mac line today, including a new MacBook Pro📱 🍎