Mason Jar Cornbread Burger
Here's a video that shows you how it's made:
2 cans black eyed peas, drained
2 tablespoons BBQ sauce or adobo
1 tablespoon seasoned salt
1/3 cup panko
Finely chopped sautéed kale (or other leafy green)
Box cornbread batter (mix, butter, egg, buttermilk, etc.)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1/2 clove garlic, minced
9 mason jar lid rings (large)
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F/200˚C.
2. Lay out 12 mason jar lid rings upside down on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
3. Spray rings thoroughly with cooking spray.
4. Mix cans of beans, BBQ sauce, seasoned salt, egg, and panko in food processor until it becomes a thick paste.
5. Mix cornbread batter/mix - it should be fairly thick
6. Fill 4 rings with bean mix (they can be compacted to the rim of the ring).
7. Fill 8 rings with cornbread batter. (Do not completely fill. Leave a small amount of room at the top to allow for rise, making sure the spread batter evenly throughout ring.)
8. Bake 20-25 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown and burgers are lightly browned.
9. Mix all ingredients for the spicy mayo and store in a refrigerator until ready to use.
10. Assemble burger including any additional ingredients desired (we used sautéed kale, but also suggest collard greens or spinach).
11. Eat and like it!