If Your Clothes Are Spilling Out Of Your Closet, These 34 Organization Products Can Help
It's not always about downsizing, but instead being creative with how you're utilizing your entire closet space.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A set of Shoe Slotz designed so you can store your shoes on top of each other instead of side by side, meaning not only will your closet look so neat, but you'll also have room to store more shoes. Always a win in my world.
BuzzFeed Shopping Editor Sally Elshorafa says: "This product SAVED MY SHOES! I have an awkward set of built-in shelves in my closet, and it was the only place I wanted to put my shoes. As you can see from the before pic (above), it was a big mess; my shoes were piled on top of each other and getting really dirty. Traditional shoe caddies or boxes didn't really work because there's not much horizontal space, so I tried the Shoe Slotz. It fixed the problem perfectly! Because the design smartly stacks one shoe on top of the other, you save 50% of the space you'd normally use to store your shoes."
Get it from Amazon for $26.99.
2. A set of hook-shaped hangers specifically designed to give you an easier way to hang hoodies and sweatshirts so they all don't end up on the floor or cause an avalanche when you pull your favorite one out from the bottom of the pile.
BTW — Venalli Builds is an Overland Park, Kansas-based small biz specializing in genius hooks!
BuzzFeed Shopping writer Daniel Boan says: "This is one of those 'where has this been all my life?!' type of products. I'm a sucker for a soft hoodie, especially ever since my apartment became my office and now I can wear them 24/7. As much as I love curling up in them, hanging hoodies in the closet is SUCH a pain. They always slip right off my plastic hangers unless I zip them all the way up, so they usually just end up thrown over a random chair (or that mini elliptical I bought in March 2020 and have used a total of two times 😬).
These little hook-shaped hangers are the storage miracle I never knew I needed. Now, I can just hang my sweatshirts and jackets by the hood and easily grab them when I need them — no zipping or folding necessary! Best of all, the pile of random hoodies on my chair has disappeared. I'm keeping the mini elliptical covered though."
3. A shirt-folding board that'll make your closet look like a department store — it'll be like shopping in your own closet EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I mean, the before and after pictures prove that it literally stops your clothes from spilling out of your closet.
Promising review: "I'm in love with this folder. I actually love folding clothes with this. The room you can make is crazy. I will never be without it. I don't have a lot of space, but I counted double the amount than I could fit before. It's amazing." —Kimberly Goff
Get it from Amazon for $16.79+ (available in five colors).
4. A baseball cap holder I'll go ~a-head~ and say now you'll be very thankful for as it frees up valuable space in your closet by removing your bulky hats and keeping them organized in an underutilized space.
5. Or a cap organizer if your closet door won't work for storing your hats. Reviewers confirm that this is super easy to use (though they recommend a wood hanger as it's stronger) and can also be used to hold scarves or other accessories.
Each cap organizer can hold up to 10 items.
Promising review: "These are the best things I have found to store my husband's hats. Especially without taking up a ton of space in the closet or on a door. I absolutely recommend a wood hanger. I had to use two double plastic hangers until I could get a wood hanger. Even the two plastic hangers sag and didn't seem sturdy. But these things are great. I used the other one to store scarves and tank tops. Gave me tons more space in my closet. Great prices, well made, and multiple uses! I will actually order more to help with closet space." —Shannon H.
Get it from Amazon for $8.59.
6. Some shelf dividers providing you the chance to stack clothing and linens in the whole shelf without them toppling over, creating an even bigger mess. And when you want to grab that specific shirt at the bottom of the pile, you'll be super grateful to have these.
Promising review: "If you need to Marie Kondo your closet, this is really useful and it looks really nice. I got the gray ones. Bought two to see how they were. Perfect. Bought six more. Loving it!!! Really recommended this product, ready to install and very sturdy." —Nicolò R.
Get a two-pack from Amazon for $10.34.
7. A double closet rod for when you REALLY want to take your space up a notch and give yourself double the amount of space to hang your clothes. Just be careful because all this extra room might just inspire you to buy even more clothes.
Promising review: "This is sturdy and lightweight. This closet rod doubled my available space in seconds. There is plenty of space on the top rod for longer shirts and tops and shorter ones fit perfectly on the lower rod, without touching the floor. Plus, hangers stay in place and don't slide to one end or the other based on how heavy items are, and so far the rod hasn't sagged or bowed at all. And I have all my sweatshirts and heavy fleece jackets on the bottom rod. The space will obviously depend on the height of the closet rod you hang this from, but I would highly recommend this for anyone with need of more closet space!!" —CCBunE
Get it from Amazon for $17.66.
8. A tank top hanger designed to hold at least six camis, bathing suits, or strappy dresses, thus reducing the total number of hangers you have in your closet.
Promising review: "I bought two three-packs and eliminated over 20+ hangers from my closet!! I have a little closet and these definitely help. I haven't really had them long enough to know if it's a pain getting between the layers when they are hanging, but so far I like it. They are a little slippery, a little grippy on the hooks would have been nice, but overall they work well!" —AGirlHasNoName
Get a set of three from Amazon for $14.99.
9. Some small Command wire hooks perfect for anyone who rents and wants a way to organize their accessories without damaging the wall, risking getting their security deposit back in the process. These hooks are easily removable and can be used in more than just the closet — talk about versatility.
Promising review: "I love these hooks. I have them in our closets (for hats, scarves, light jackets) and in our kitchen (for measuring cups and spoons). I love how easy they are to put up and take down. If you make a mistake and put it in the wrong spot, no problem! Just take it off and use one of the extra adhesives to put it on the right spot." —A. Tran
Get a set of 16 hooks from Amazon for $11.90 (available in 11 other styles and quantities).
10. A set of storage cubes to essentially double the size of your closet if you have a bunch of overhead space you're not taking advantage of. The sky's the limit! (Or really, the ceiling in this case.)
Promising review: "I put these in my closet to make extra shelves for sweaters/sweatshirts. They were easy to assemble and worked great at adding additional space to my closet. I like that my clothes don’t topple over into the pile next to them anymore. They were easy to put together, and if I move they will be easy to take apart put in a small box and move. I'm very happy with this purchase."—Goldensummerdog
Get it from Amazon for $29.99+ (available in five colors).
11. A wall-mounted hanger rack if you want a place to display (and store) your favorite pieces of clothes because some truly great pieces don't deserve to be shoved into a dark closet. Plus, you can use the top shelf to display art and add more decor to your home. I call that a win-win.
BTW — JT Industrial Designs is a Texas-based small biz specializing in handmade and custom industrial-style home furnishings!
Promising review: "I love it. It's all I imagined and more! They were so kind to accommodate my request to do a custom gold bar. This saved us a whole lot of space. I will be ordering more." —Marlena Phan
12. A set of Wonder Hangers you'll wonder how you ever lived without. These babies take five hangers and condense them into one, giving you ample space.
Promising review: "These wonder hangers are WONDERful. My closet space has doubled, at least. I have ordered them for every closet in my home. I also recommended them to friends and family. I love them." —Nancy J
Get a pack of 10 from Amazon for $14.99 (also availble in three other pack sizes and three colors).
13. A closet storage organizer with bins for anyone who really doesn't have room for a dresser but doesn't want to hang up every single t-shirt they own – you can store everything that works better folded in this.
Promising review: "This was very quick and easy to assemble. It has lots of space for my kids’ clothes that don’t hang, along with extra squares on top for socks, etc. I will be purchasing more for my own closet. It definitely saves space. And it's worth the money. It has three large rows with two baskets, and more can be added." —Gee
Get it from Amazon for $24.99.
14. An ottoman with a secret — the top removes to reveal great storage space. Put your sweaters or off-season clothes into it so they're not taking up precious space in your closet. Plus, you can also use it as extra seating or a place to sit to put your shoes on before you leave the house.
Promising review: "I bought this to store sweaters in so I didn’t have to hang them up in the closet. It was easy to put together, and it’s sitting at the foot of my bed so it doubles as a bench as well. It holds a lot of sweaters and doesn’t get crazy heavy, but it is still sturdy enough to sit on and have my big fat cat use it as his own personal seat." —BJ
Get it from Amazon for $38.99+ (available in three colors).
15. Some nonslip velvet hangers designed to take up less space and hold clothes better, so half your wardrobe doesn't end up on the floor when you try and take one shirt out.
Promising review: "These hangers are amazing. They take up minimal space, are sturdy, and, best of all, the clothes don't fall down from them so it keeps everything looking neat. I have replaced all of the hangers in my closet with these hangers, and I couldn't be happier. I am pretty sure I now have double the amount of space. I love this product and would buy again." —Vida Maars
Get a pack of 30 from Amazon for $16.49+ (available in black, grey, and, beige, and in 30-, 50- and 100- packs).
16. A set of space saver bags because storing your bulky winter clothes in the summer will ~suck~ less when you squeeze all the air out so they take up a wayyy smaller amount of space in your closet (or under your bed).
Promising review: "First of all, when you see 'jumbo' in the title, you better believe these things are JUMBO! These bags of limitless storage can hold just about anything fabric that you need squishing down into a manageable block. I've used these for blankets, clothes, and precious keepsakes and I feel secure in the knowledge that they are all well-protected. The plastic is thick but not stiff, so you know it's good quality." —Kimball Household
Get a six-pack of small bags from Amazon for $26.99 (also available in three other sizes and a variety pack).
17. Or a pack of hanging vacuum bags made for compacting your puffy winter coats while keeping them on the hanger. With these, you won't have to find a new space for your coats, you can keep them in your closet yet know they'll be taking up wayyyy less space during the summer months.
Promising review: "I LOVE THIS SO MUCH! Every time when I straighten my closet, I am very desperate, because I can’t save more space from my closet. There are too many bulky coats and out of seasonal clothes in my closet. I needed more space to storage my clothes. After searching for solutions and finally decided that these hanging bags were my best choice. After using them, they work exactly successful. What a supreme product! It is a huge help to us when I need to store my bulky winter clothes. When you use it, I don't need to spend my time folding my clothes to pack away, just hanging the clothes on the hanging ring, and seal the sealing line by the clip. It is very easy to use. Really good quality material. No broken or leaks. Now I only use two bags to store my 10 clothes. I have much more space to store my other clothes and my closet keep so well organized. Great product for the money!" —Aaron
Get a set of four from Amazon for $21.99+ (available in three colors).
18. A five-shelf hanging closet organizer for storing random things that take up more space on a hanger (such as sweaters or scarves or even nonhangable things, such as shoes).
Promising review: "This hanging shelf freed up a lot of space in my closet. It took an untamed mess of scarves, mittens, hats, and cleaned it up. The hangers are strong, metal, and unlikely to get bent out of shape from normal use. The build of the cloth shelves is sturdy enough for heavy sweaters or lighter toys, but I would refrain from storing things like shoes in this organizer." —Larson
Get it from Amazon for $14.97 (available in two sizes and eight colors).
19. Or a shelf organizer/extra hanging rod combo if you want space to store folded clothes without losing your precious hanging space. This brilliant system gives you four cubes for folded clothes *and* a rod under for pants and tops.
Promising review: "I’m basically obsessed with this thing already. I just got it today so I can’t speak to long term, but it’s amazing how much space this frees up. I have a 1940s house therefore 1940s tiny closets, and I need to get creative in my space organization. This thing was just what I needed to store sweaters on top and hang all other tops on bottom. You can’t see in the photo (above) but my closet has some space on both sides that’s just half filled now and used to be filled to the brim, barely able to move the hangers. This storage solution makes displaying the sweaters nicer than in drawers of my dresser or hanging. It honestly appears very sturdy and quality to me. The fabric is thick, the hooks and bar are both metal. All in all one of my favorite purchases from amazon." —BobbyL
Get it from Amazon for $26.99 (available in two colors).
20. A set of three foldable storage bags with large clear windows and handles, because you shouldn't even have to LOOK at your sweaters during May–August. But the clear window will be worth it when the first cold day comes, and you want to pull out your favorite sweater, without opening all the bags until you find the right one.
Promising review: "These pack nicely and stack well. You are able to see through the window as to what you have packed to easily to know where is an item that you may be looking for is. I am using them to store fall/winter clothes to give room for my spring/summer clothes. I have a lot of clothes!!!" —C. Smallwood
Get it from Amazon for $25 (available in two colors).
21. An upholstered platform bed for when you're finally ready to accept that you don't have anymore room in your closet. Does this mean you need to get rid of things? Absolutely not! This bed conveniently lifts up, revealing a huge storage area for all your needs.
Promising review: "This is a great storage bed. It has lots of room under the mattress to store stuff. I haven’t slept on it yet but putting it together wasn’t too bad and the design seems great. I’ll update if anything changes but as of right now, I’m happy! Edit: I’ve been sleeping on it for a few weeks and love it!" —Jenn
Get it from Amazon for $404.99+ (available in twin, full, queen, king and in four colors).
22. Or just some under-bed storage containers if you're not ready to replace your whole bed frame but want to utilize the space under your bed. These are great for things such as swimsuits or extra winter layers that you only use at specific times of the year.
Promising review: "My bed frame has a pretty low clearance (less than 6 inches). This fits under it easily since the material is soft. I used it to store all my sheets and blankets to open more space in the closet. I like that the tops are clear so you can see what's inside without having to dig through it." —Kyra
Get it from Amazon for $12.97+ (available in six colors).
23. A collapsible bin actually made so the front flaps folds down so you can easily grab the sweater that's at the bottom and not ruin your whole nicely folded stack.
BTW — Great Useful Stuff is a small biz based in Sonoma, California, featuring a selection of home and lifestyle products that are...you guessed it...great and useful.
Get it from Great Useful Stuff for $28 (available in eight colors).
24. A four-tier hanger, because hanging your skirts and jeans vertically instead of folding them over a hanger saves a TON of space.
25. A 24-pocket sleeve you hang over the back of a door to give you endless closet organization potentials. Sure many people do use this for shoes, but you can really store anything you have a lot of, including leggings, accessories, and even plants (which means this genius sleeve extends well beyond the closet). Don't sleep on adding at least one of these to your home.
Promising review: "This organizer is so easy to use and works amazingly well. I set it up on my door in under five minutes and was able to place all types of shoes in the slots. I even placed sturdy work boots snugly in a slot. The hanger is easy to put on the door and does not restrict my bedroom door from closing. The whole thing seems to be made of durable plastic so I'm not worried about it ripping and tearing. Definitely recommend." —Christopher Majano
Get it from Amazon for $9.87 (available in four colors).
26. A wire basket ideal for placing under the shelves in your closet to add more space for folded clothing and accessories. Reviewers also use this handy basket in the pantry and beyond, making it a great investment if your closet situations (all around the house) are smaller than small.
27. A six-slot over-the-door organizer, featuring clear pockets in the front so you don't accidentally forget where you put your favorite pair of tights and end up buying more — something you for sure don't need to do.
Promising review: "I am so happy I found this little gem of a product. I got one for myself and one for a friend who I was helping get organized. The little pockets are great and hold more than you think they will. I love that the front of the pockets is a clear view so you can see everything that is in the pocket. The product is very sturdy and really super easy to put together and hang up on the doors." —MM1986
Get it from Amazon for $19.99 (available in seven colors).
28. An S-shaped hanger you can fit five pairs of pants on, because your love for jeans shouldn't be ruined by the amount of space in your closet. Each hanger holds multiple pairs, leaving you with space for the rest of the top that go with said jeans.
Promising review: "I LOVE jeans, and I was just running out of space. I ordered these and organized the jeans I was keeping, and put them in a certain order. I'm glad I ordered these, definitely can keep them organized, and there's more space for other things." —Anna
Get a set of three from Amazon for $15.99 (also available in seven other pack varieties).
29. An over-the-door hanging purse organizer, a must-have for anyone with a growing handbag collection because not only does it remove all your purses from your closet, but it's made to rotate 360 degrees so you can always find the exact bag that matches your outfit. Just think about all the extra time that will add to your morning!
Promising review: "This has been a lifesaver for me! My purses are no longer all over the floor in my closet. They all fit nicely on here. I love this so much. The packaging was nice and everything came in perfect condition. I have about 10 purses on it right now and it's really nice and strong. It fits on my door perfectly but you do have to push on the door a bit in order for it to fully close and open. However, that is not a problem for me at all. It's very easy for me to see all my purses now and my closet is no longer a mess. From other reviews I've seen, I know this can definitely hold a lot of weight and way more bags then I have on it. I love the way it looks!" —Jennifer
Get it from Amazon for $29.95+ (available as a single or double).