37 Practical Items That May Not Be Fun To Look At But You Probably Need
Whether they are gross or just boring, these products are definitely still very useful.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. The TubShroom, with some of the most disgusting but oh-so-satisfying review images. You may wonder how you still have hair on your head after using this product...but at least it won't be backing up your tub anymore.
2. A lid organizer because if your container drawer looks something like the picture on the left, you've def been so frustrated digging through the mishmash piles of lids trying to find the right lid that fits on the container your leftovers are already in. This gives you spots for every different size lid you own and transforms the drawer into an organized haven.
Promising review: "This product does exactly what it's supposed to and does it well. In under 15 minutes, I took my nightmare lid drawer and turned it into a functional, convenient storage space. The dividers were simple to install and provided flexibility. Slowly but surely I am getting my tiny, chaotic kitchen under control, and this got me a huge leap closer." —S. Hawthorn
Get it from Amazon for $15+ (available in five styles).
3. A set of bed bands that'll work super hard to keep the corners of your fitted sheet in place so they don't pop off and try to escape every chance they get. Plus, this means you won't have to fight to get the sheet on all four corners as often — that itself is a chore.
4. A set of scrubbing attachments you'll want to constantly take for a ~spin~, because they will get everything so darn clean without causing your arm to hurt from too much scrubbing after.
5. A pack of DressWeights designed to prevent you from having a Marilyn Monroe moment when you decide to wear a dress, only to have it ~spring~ up at a moment's notice. That's not a problem you'll have wearing one of these.
6. A digital luggage scale to prevent you from paying an overweight baggage fee ever again — sometimes it's hard not to overpack, OK!!!
7. Wad-Free, which is about to change your laundry life. Don't believe me? This seemingly boring square thing attaches to the corners of your sheets to help them dry faster, be less wrinkled, and stop them from encompassing everything in the drier into a tangled mess. How ~neat~ is that???
Plus, they're BPA-free reusable, and created by a small business during the pandemic.
Promising review: "Wow!!! You wonder if things like this really work — well, I can absolutely confirm this does! I was impressed that the package came with two of the devices so there was one for the fitted sheet and the flat sheet. I tried it out and my sheets not only did NOT wad up, but they came out of the dryer feeling fresher, feeling more dry, and unwrinkled! I will be buying a set of these for each of my immediate family members and close friends! What a great gift!!!" —katy
Get a set of two from Amazon for $18.99.
8. Keurig cleaning cups, a must-have for anyone who is maybe just realizing now that they should have been cleaning their coffee maker for the past couple of years. 😬 This makes it so simple. Just put one of the pods in the machine, and you'll be amazed at how much gunk comes out of it. 🤮
9. A three-pack of nonstick oven liners you can cut to fit your oven or grill to protect it from getting covered in the goo and gunk that spills out of whatever you're cooking. Just pull the liner out (when the oven isn't hot anymore) and wash it in the sink for a fuss-free way to keep your oven clean.
10. A handheld vacuum that makes it super easy to get rid of the pet hair on your couch (and every other surface) once and for all.
11. A Dr. Scholls moisturizing foot cream you can apply to your dry and cracked heels for an extra dose of moisture that will leave them looking (and feeling) as pretty as a picture. (Not that that's a picture you want to take.)
12. A soundproofing strip to help block out all the surrounding noise so your coworkers can actually hear what you have to say about those reports and you won't have to apologize for the sounds of the garbage truck outside.
13. A pack of fizzing toilet tabs here to make cleaning your toilet something you might actually enjoy (which is probably a sentence you never expected to hear in your life). This looks like a bath bomb but is filled with sanitizing products that will leave your toilet spotless (after you give it a quick scrub, of course).
14. An earwax removal oil you'll be talking your friends' ears off about because of how clean it will leave yours feeling.
15. Dishwasher-cleaning tablets made to remove the lime and minerals built up in your dishwasher over time. If you've been feeling like your dishwasher isn't getting your dishes as clean as it once did, this is your sign to throw one of these in with your next cycle and see how much of a difference it makes.
It's recommended to use a table once a month. You can use these on stainless-steel and plastic tub dishwashers.
Promising review: "After using this product, I am happy to report that my $5 investment saved me over $500. I was ready to replace my dishwasher due to super cloudy glasses, residue, and just not getting clean. Then I became aware that the water softener no longer was doing its job, so I had the rental company replace it. Dishwasher performance improved somewhat. I decided to do two more loads before deciding to purchase a new one. Then I saw a product test review for Affresh in a magazine. I was ordering some stuff from Amazon anyway, so I added that to my order. When it came, I tossed one of the tablets into the bottom of the full machine and ran the regular cycle. I did not expect the results I got! My glassware that I thought was permanently etched and ruined came out like new. Same with cutlery. The difference is unbelievable. I will use this faithfully on a monthly basis, as recommended. I can even put it on my Subscribe & Save order, so I will get a new pack every six months. I am amazed!" —Sheila
Get a pack of six from Amazon for $5.99.
16. Sticky Stake insect traps you place in your plants to attract flies, gnats, midges, and other insects and keep them from flying around your house and annoying you so very much.
17. A mold and mildew remover to easily remove the gross buildup in your shower and make it look (and even feel) like a super nice one you may find at a hotel. Plus, this stuff is so easy to use. All you have to do is apply it, let it sit, and then rinse. Yes, it really is as easy as that.
18. A sunburn soother made with aloe and coconut oil you should probably just have on hand at all times because there's nothing worse than 1) getting a sunburn and 2) returning home to realize you have nothing to help you make it feel better. The combination of these two things is realllllly not fun.
Promising review: "I bought this product to take on our vacation. I am so glad I did. I got burnt on my lower legs and tops of my feet. I though I had put enough sunscreen on. I didn't. That night I woke with my legs and feet both burning and itching. The instant I put this on I had relief. OMG I cannot say enough about this stuff. Buy it. Keep it on hand. Great product. Thank you, Burt's Bees!" —D.S.
Get it from Amazon for $7.02.
19. Some odor eliminators you can put in your gym bag, carry-on, or even luggage so you don't have to worry about your stinky or sweaty clothes and shoes making everything else in the bag smelly.
20. Foaming tablets you can use weekly on your garbage disposal to stop any buildup or odors from coming out of your sink. Nobody wants to deal with that grossness!
21. A deodorizing dog body spray you'll totally use every chance you get, because not only will it freshen up your pup (and remove any unwanted smells) while still leaving the natural oils in their fur, but it will also mean you can avoid bath time because I'm pretty sure it's a universal fact that every dog HATES baths.
22. A grout pen that'll transform your bathroom (or kitchen) floor from drab to fab by restoring it to the pristine color of yesteryear with minimal effort on your part.
23. A migraine headache stick you can keep on hand and quickly grab when you feel a headache coming on to help stop it in its tracks before it ruins your whole day.
24. Some Scotch Brite scrubbers specifically designed to remove all the burnt-on gunk on your stainless-steel pans and make them look as good as the day you bought them. Nothing says, "I'm an adult" like finding it thrilling when you salvage a pan instead of having to shell out money for a new one.
Psst — If you're looking to get your pans as clean as the reviewer above, they used the scrubbers along with Bar Keepers Friend!
Promising review: "I like to use a lot of cast-iron and stainless-steel pans. But you know what's the worst? Burnt-on oil. I bought these on Amazon because they were both cheap and well-reviewed. I expected these to be tough on my hands. They weren't. I expected them to fall apart pretty quickly. They didn't. I expected to have to use a lot of scrubbing force. I don't. What did they do? They removed the burnt-on oil on my stainless-steel pans and cast-iron pans with a refreshing ease. You apply a little pressure and move it around, and the grease disappears. These are cheap enough not to even give another thought to. Just put them in your cart and get them." —DM
Get a three-pack from Amazon for $2.48.
25. Light-dimming stickers to, once and for all, put an end to that annoying light coming from your TV, Wi-Fi router, or whatever else you have in your room that keeps you up at night.
26. A dryer vent cleaning kit you actually attach to your vacuum to suck out all the dust, lint, and other debris that's hiding in your dryer. This 2.5-foot kit will get in there deep and remove so much stuff you'll be shocked how your dryer has even worked up till this point.
Promising review: “OK, LET'S TALK ABOUT THIS HOSE. My dryer was like one cycle away from catching fire, and my vacuum’s skinny hose nozzle was too short to get into my dryer vent because the nozzle widens after 6 inches. So when I saw this product go on sale I bought it and it came the next day. It came in two or three pieces that fit into each other and go over the vacuum hose. It was SO SATISFYING to watch the big clumps come out of the dryer vent! I mean my dryer was nasty. Look at the pictures. I have a German shepherd and a pit bull, so our laundry is always full of nastiness. Well, this little hose got it all and it looks brand new in there. The big clumps were hard to get through the hose at first until I realized I could pinch the opening of the hose to make it circular, which allowed the clumps to fly through. Even the sound was satisfying. I will be vacuuming under my fridge next. No dying in a fire for me.” —Bee92
Get a two-pack from Amazon for $7.99+ (available in two colors).
27. An easily washable drip catcher made to fit around your faucet to stop water from pooling around it every time you do the dishes. It's the small things in life that make the biggest difference.
BTW —Two Lilacs Studio is a small biz based in Saint Helens, Oregon.
Promising review: "LOVE these splash catchers! They save me from having to chase the puddles that form around the base of our faucet before they start creeping over the counter. So reasonably priced, made well with neatly finished edges, and packaged with gift-ready care." —Alina
28. The Pink Stuff, which is an all-purpose paste that works to clean basically everything in your house. This means you can go from scrubbing a pan to making your muddy rain boots look brand new in one swoop — no changing of cleaning products required.
Promising review: "Oh my gosh — this stuff is a life-changer! Used it to get my fiberglass shower totally clean. Nothing else would get it done and this stuff brought my shower back to near-new in one use. We’ve since cleaned a weird chalky film off our garage door, removed wall markings, and cleaned my storm door. We’ll never be without a jar (or three) of this stuff. Worth every penny." —Nancy F.
Get it from Amazon for $8.38.
29. A door draft stopper reviewers swear is a great way to stop cold air from getting into your home during the winter months. Not only will you save money on your energy bill, but you'll also stop tiny critters from crawling their way into your home. And now that's a win-win.
30. A FURemover Broom that works to remove pet *and* human hair from deeper in your carpet that your vacuum can't reach. Plus, it has a squeegee edge so you can also use it to clean your shower, windows, and even car windshield. We love a multipurpose product!
Promising review: "This sucker is magic. I bought mine three years ago and it still works. I use it to scrape up the dog hair that gets embedded in my living room rug. (We have two basset hounds who are constantly shedding.) The vacuum gets a lot of it, but even after I run the vacuum I can drag this broom over the rug and drag up entire piles of dirt and fur that were missed. It's also great on my kitchen tile. We have a dog door in our kitchen, so our two bassets are always dragging in dirt and making messes. This works better than a broom because it works like a squeegee — nothing gets caught in the broom fibers, and it can clean up damp/wet messes as well." —yetanotherstephanie
Get it from Amazon for $12.44.
And read one BuzzFeed Shopping editor's full review of the FURemover Broom here.
31. Reusable produce storage bags specifically designed to keep fruit, vegetables, and even flowers fresher longer so you can actually enjoy everything you purchase.
32. A dog waste bag holder to give you a spot to stash that stinky bag of poo so you don't have to awkwardly hold it in your hand (but as far aways as possible) until you find a trash can to throw it into.
33. A set of seat gap fillers so you'll never experience the feeling of having your phone fall between the seat while you're driving, knowing it's going to take about 10 minutes to retrieve it from the black hole down there.
34. A grease bag with the ability to hold up to 32 ounces so you have a place to pour the extra grease from your pan instead of "accidently" pouring it down the drain and hoping for the best. 😬 Plus, the packaging is compostable, so you can just throw it in the trash when it's full.
35. A garbage guard that may look small but has magic powers to get all the bugs in and around your garbage can good and gone from your life.
36. A pack of AirPod cleaning putty made to easily remove earwax, dirt, and dust that's lodged into your earbuds. It may gross you out to see what's exactly inside, but you'll be so thankful for it when it improves the sound quality as you sing along to Sour...for the 58th time this week.
37. An auto-shutoff outlet for anyone who has stopped in a cold panic after they leave their house trying to remember if they've turned off their curling iron or straightener (🙋🏻♀️). Simply put this in the outlet, plug your device in, and hit the button to set the timer. Then you can go about your day knowing that you won't accidentally burn your house down.
Reviews have been edited for length and/or clarity.