35 Helpful Things For Anyone Whose Home Was Designed By Someone Who Apparently Hates Storage Space
if you were too distracted by the great view to realize there were practically no closets, it's okay. These products are here to help.
We hope you love the products we recommend! All of them were independently selected by our editors. Just so you know, BuzzFeed may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page if you decide to shop from them. Oh, and FYI — prices are accurate and items in stock as of time of publication.
1. A three-tier wood-top corner shelf to help ~elevate~ your kitchen decor with interesting places to store extra coffee cups and accessories without making it feel super cramped.
2. A toilet paper holder with a door to discreetly hold cleaning supplies and a couple of extra rolls of TP so anyone can easily grab a new roll when they sit down and realize the current one is empty.
Promising review: "This is perfect! I have a very small space between the wall and the toilet, and this fit there perfectly. I use it for toilet tissue and cleaning storage. Easy to assemble and completes my bathroom." —Amazon Customer
Get it from Amazon for $27.88+ (available in three sizes and in black or white).
3. An under-cabinet wineglass rack perfect for holding any glasses that are too tall or fragile to be crowded into a cabinet. These will turn heads and make your kitchen feel like a Michelin-star restaurant.
Promising review: "I really like this wine rack! I needed a nice, space-saving solution for wineglasses that are too tall to go in my glass cabinet, and this rack fits the bill. It was simple to install and looks great. Good buy!" —Cycle Mom
Get it from Amazon for $21.93+ (available in four sizes and four colors).
4. A super-sleek velvet ottoman designed so the top pops off (and you can flip to make a small table) to reveal some sneaky storage. You can fill this with basically anything, even an ever-growing candle collection, as one BuzzFeed editor does.
BuzzFeed Shopping editor Emma Lord says: "Another bonus? If you flip the lid over, it has a wooden base, so you can *also* use this as a teensy snack table. I recently got one of these for my new apartment to stash my candles and ~candle accessories~ in, and it's pretty much become my favorite piece of furniture?? I use it to prop up my feet during work hours and sometimes if I want to eat on my couch I'll use it as a tray. It's also sturdy enough to sit on, if I ever wanted to have guests over and needed an extra chair. It was RIDICULOUSLY easy to set up — I had it done in less than 10 minutes, and probably didn't even need the directions. It also just looks so darn cute (and comes in so many colors that I'm tempted to buy another!)."
Get it from Amazon for $59.99 (available in eight colors).
5. Some under-bed storage containers if you want to utilize the space under your bed. These are great for things such as swimsuits or extra winter layers that you only use at specific times of the year.
Promising review: "My bed frame has a pretty low clearance (less than 6 inches). This fits under it easily since the material is soft. I used it to store all my sheets and blankets to open more space in the closet. I like that the tops are clear so you can see what's inside without having to dig through it." —Kyra
Get it from Amazon for $13.97+ (available in six colors).
6. A diaper caddy designed to attach right to the side of the changing table so you can easily grab what you need when you're mid-change trying to keep a squirmy baby in place.
Promising review: "I love this as a space saver. There is so much storage in this. I have about 80 size one diapers in here. It has a great storage capacity. There is STILL space for me to put more in this organizer. I definitely recommend. Easy to attach on crib or hang elsewhere. Sturdy once you pack it." —Hernandez
Get it from Amazon for $29.92 (available in two colors).
7. A three-tier slide-out storage tower so you can ~squeeze~ the most out of your kitchen even if you have less cabinet space than you thought was possible. Plus, you'll know exactly where the baking powder is when you need it for a recipe.
Promising review: "This storage tower is awesome and such a space saver. I live in a small apartment with little cabinet space, so I used this tower for my spices right in between my stove and refrigerator. It was also the easiest thing to assemble (no tools required)!" —S.J.
Get it from Amazon for $29.99 (available in two colors).
8. A vertical shoe tower you can put right next to your front door so you (and your guests) have a place to put shoes as soon as you enter the house. Nobody will trip over a pile of shoes on the ground any longer because your home wasn't designed with a coat closet right by the front door!!
Promising review: "This is perfect for what we are looking for. It had to fit in a smaller space and served to stop a puddle of shoes from forming at the doorstep. I am glad that we have smaller feet/shoes though as the spaces are a bit narrow. There are only two larger spaces that would work for high-top shoes or heeled boots. All the other spaces fit flats or low sneakers well." —Sara C.
Get it from Amazon for $69.99+ (available in three colors and two sizes).
9. A three-tier console table thin enough to fit behind your couch and give you a place to keep DVDs, books, or any other random things that don't have a home in your living room.
Promising review: "I love this. It's a little rustic and a little modern. It's perfect for our little living room. We were debating how to store our DVDs since we eliminated our TV console. This was perfect because the DVDs are at the bottom and accessible to our kids. The other two shelves are used for decoration and knickknacks." — J. Cavalla
Get it from Amazon for $149.99.
10. A three-tier bamboo rack you can hang on the wall or keep on the ground, but either way, it will give you a place to organize random things and make your home feel less cluttered.
Promising review: "Recently removed the radiators out of my old house, and the bathroom had a narrow space that just looked empty. This fit perfectly, providing much needed storage, and keeps the room from looking cluttered. Easy to assemble and sturdy enough that I am not afraid of it falling apart. Love this!" —Amber Kuhn
Get it from Amazon for $29.90+ (available in three colors).
11. A customizable dog-feeding station designed with space under the bowls for you to store all your pup's toys, treats, and accessories that may otherwise just clutter up floor space.
ABH Designs Shop is a family-owned small biz that has been creating handcrafted, custom wood decor and furniture in Texas since 2017.
Before adding this to your cart, you can select the stain color on top as well as the base paint color, as well as the type of handle you want. It currently takes them about eight weeks to make it.
Promising review: "I just moved to a studio apartment, and was looking for some space-saving furniture, as well as an elevated feeder for my senior pup. Not only are these absolutely gorgeous and functional, but Alanna and Bryan helped me with custom dimensions to perfectly work for my pup! I loved that I got to choose the color of the paint, choose the hardware, and choose the wood. This is a really nice, custom product!" —Emily Greitzer
12. A two-tier expandable shelf specifically designed to fit under your sink to utilize all that wasted space so you can organize and hide away more toiletries and cleaning supplies.
It expands from 15 to 25 inches.
Promising review: "This product worked perfectly for my needs. I live in a small apartment and need all the space I can get. This was easy to put together and adapts to the usable space under my sink. Great stuff!" —Jack Kiely
Get it from Amazon for $24.97 (available in silver and bronze).
13. A beautiful two-door cabinet you won't mind taking up space in your house because it will up the aesthetic while giving you the storage space you need to make it really feel like a home.
14. A six-shelf wall-mount bookcase with a minimalist design to help you ~maximize~ your space, so even if you stuff it full with books, plants, trinkets, or even shoes, it won't look like a cluttered mess that makes the room feel smaller.
Promising review: "I simply love the bookcase. It is perfect for the room and allowed me (finally) to organize some of the books I have. I live in a studio apartment, space is limited, but this is a great solution, especially because it looks so light and minimal. It looks very solid and a good quality for the price. I really recommend this purchase. It is super easy to assemble." —Ylenia
Get it from Amazon for $126.87+ (available in 20 colors and styles).
15. A mirror with a jewelry organizer and light built in to really transform your bathroom and give you a place to display your epic earring collection at the same time.
16. A beanbag cover useful for holding all of your kids' stuffed animals and blankets so you don't find them sprawled out across the room all the time. And as a bonus, it turns into a cozy seat for reading and watching TV when it's full.
Promising review: "These are perfect for any kids’ room! I was getting so tired of messy stuffed animals and blankets all over so it’s nice to have them out of sight but still easily accessible. My 2-year-old loves to sit on hers and read books. She doesn’t have a ton of stuffed animals so there is plenty of room to add to it for when her collection grows. I love the fun bright print and sturdiness — she drags it all over the ground but I don’t worry about it tearing at all. Just what she needed in her room." —dd
Get it from Amazon for $25.99+ (available in 12 colors and in three sizes).
17. An accent table reviewers swear look more expensive than the price tag and the two doors mean you can shut your stuff away so it's out of sight...but not out of mind.
18. A wall-mounted blanket rack if you're constantly surrounded by blankets on your couch, which is great when you want to get cozy but not when you have people coming over and want to make your place look nice.
Edge Live Creations Co. is a small business based in Shelby, Ohio specializing in handmade stylish and functional storage solutions.
Promising review: "Just what I needed! The quality is good and the wood is beautiful. Shipping was fast. I would definitely order again." —Krista Hill
19. A fridge rack that latches on (so no installation required) because even if you live in a small home, it doesn't mean you have to limit the ingredients and spices you keep in your kitchen. Plus, this can also be mounted or placed on the floor (just flip it over) so it really can fit whatever space you're working with.
Promising review: "I love this organizer! I had to do some minor modifications to make sure it doesn’t slide off with added weight (I'm in an earthquake prone state), but it is just what I needed to free up some valuable counter space and still have access to what I need!" —Mari S.
Get it from Amazon for $45.99.
20. A clear shower curtain liner designed with pockets on the inside to hold all of the products that you need so they don't end up squished in the corner of the tub and falling over when you grab your shampoo.
BuzzFeed Shopping editor Elizabeth Lilly says: "I couldn’t be happier with my purchase, which seems expensive for a shower curtain liner but is totally worth the price. Its mesh pockets are incredibly sturdy and even *I* can fit all my shower stuff in there. (FYI, I often keep three or four body washes and conditioners each in the shower at all times.) There’s lots of reinforcement where each pocket meets the liner and at the top of the liner, so dropping a weighty bottle of shampoo in a pocket is NBD. Obviously, you want to try for even weight distribution between the pockets and toiletries, but it doesn’t seem to be an issue. And these smooth-gliding hooks I also bought for my new digs make opening and closing my shower curtain as smooth as buttah." Check out her full review here, #7.
Get it from Amazon for $25.95.
21. Or a mesh shower curtain caddy for a more compact solution that still has a ton of room to hold all your products.
Promising review: "I LOVE this product! The ring/clip things are wonderfully sturdy with beads on them, making them slide smoothly over the curtain rod without getting caught or snagged. I have some rather heavy bottles of conditioner and shampoo in it and haven't had a problem. Will definitely be ordering another one for all of my husband's beard and grooming items!" —A. Dewitt
Get it from Amazon for $10.99.