MIAMI — President Obama’s central challenge is convincing voters that no other leader could have done better in stabilizing the American economy than he did, President Bill Clinton said in an impromptu interview here late Wednesday evening.
“People have to know it couldn’t be fixed,” he said of the economy.
Clinton, who spoke to reporters from BuzzFeed and two other outlets in a wide-ranging conversation late Tuesday at the Biltmore Hotel, was bullish on Obama’s chances.
“He’s doing great,” Clinton said.
Clinton’s speech in Charlotte last Wednesday was widely viewed as the highlight of the Democratic National Convention and a key source of Obama’s post-convention momentum. Clinton revealed Tuesday that Obama had asked him to make two modifications to the speech — one on Medicare and one on welfare — but wouldn’t specify what they were. He said he didn’t give Obama the full text until the morning of the speech, but that he worked closely with White House officials, including National Economic Council director Gene Sperling, on his remarks.
And while Clinton visibly basked on the campaign trail before a crowd of 2,300 at Florida International University Tuesday in his place back in the center of a presidential campaign, he volunteered that he doesn’t call up Obama to offer him advice.
“He knows where to find me,” the forty-second president said. He also dismissed media speculation on tension between the two men as overblown.
Clinton also offered unusually warm words for his immediate successor, President George W. Bush, for devoting his all to stave off a depression in his final three months, “just like President Obama did in his first three months.” He noted that he was the only person at either convention to speak nicely of Bush the younger — and revealed he’s planning to catch up with President George H.W. Bush next week.
Clinton also engaged in a long discussion about congressional dysfunction, blaming lawmakers’ physical exhaustion in part for the partisan tone.
He recalled calling Sen. Trent Lott after the former Senate Majority Leader referred to him as a “spoiled brat” on a Sunday show — not to yell at him, but to encourage him to get more sleep.
Clinton also discussed his golf game, which he says hasn’t been the same in years. His work in Haiti, on top of his other commitments, kept him off the links for months, and he says his rhythm post-heart surgery just hasn’t been the same.
But just the other day he shot an 87 at the Liberty National Golf Course overlooking the Statue of Liberty, he said, estimating that his handicap is about a +18.
Clinton recalled playing President Obama last year — a round credited with resolving their differences from the 2008 campaign — where the duffer-in-chief beat him “fair and square.” Clinton offered the excuse that he had just three hours of sleep and “could hardly walk.”
Clinton spoke to reporters at the hotel — a magnificent national landmark — which also hosts a world class golf course Clinton estimated he’d played a hundred times.
Clinton also recalled a moment from his youth in Arkansas being approached by two or three Mormon missionaries in Hot Springs, where they explained the Mormon view.
Clinton spoke highly of their effort, recounting the different degrees of heaven as was explained to him 50 years ago, describing it as a pyramid with many levels that put Hitler and Stalin at the very bottom, faithful Mormons on top, and everyone else in between.
Clinton, a Baptist, said the sticking point for him was leaving his friends and family out of the top level of heaven.
“I didn’t want to leave all these other people behind,” he said.
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
- samimain What Bill Clinton Is Thinking
- sltrib.com readers just made What Bill Clinton Is Thinking hotter
- wickedspoon thinks What Bill Clinton Is Thinking is Win
- Frankhartman26 thinks What Bill Clinton Is Thinking is Ew
- werlenkoman + What Bill Clinton Is Thinking and thinks it’s Win & OMG
- insanr thinks What Bill Clinton Is Thinking is Fail
- livinlife024 thinks What Bill Clinton Is Thinking is Win
- smg7320 thinks What Bill Clinton Is Thinking is Win
- janebelly + What Bill Clinton Is Thinking and thinks it’s OMG, LOL & Win
- ldsreport.com readers just made What Bill Clinton Is Thinking hotter
Anytime you have to bring back a Past President that also outshines the current President in order to get votes then your current President surely must be some kind of winner on his own. Guess when you have NO (Zero) achievements of your own to run on you have to drag out past news in order to try and get excitement back into the folks.
At least Bill Clinton, as President, like every other President EXCEPT Obama attended Intelligence briefings regarding our national security. Wonder why the US and America was caught unaware with the recent embassy attacks? How about a President that doesn’t do his job! Obama is a poor President and does about as well in the Economy as our preparation was for the Lybia and Egypt attacks on our Embassy yet we send both countries tons of dollars in aide and support. CHANGE —- it’s time for it AGAIN!
- davidpessah thinks What Bill Clinton Is Thinking is Win
- chetcoleb thinks What Bill Clinton Is Thinking is Fail
- ace.mu.nu readers just made What Bill Clinton Is Thinking hotter
If Obama was so concerned about the economy, why was his first course of action to pursue ObamaCare. Okay, okay, first he gave billions of dollars to his friends and donors to try to stimulate the economy. THEN he went and ramrodded the ObamaCare tax down our throats. Now please tell me how this was supposed to help the economy.
- lah8e thinks What Bill Clinton Is Thinking is Win
- danr25 thinks What Bill Clinton Is Thinking is Win
- idrudgereport.com readers just made What Bill Clinton Is Thinking hotter
- www-ig-opensocial.googleusercontent.com readers just made What Bill Clinton Is Thinking hotter
- What Bill Clinton Is Thinking is starting to get hot on Facebook Share It
- newu1276 thinks What Bill Clinton Is Thinking is Trashy
- drudgereport.com readers just made What Bill Clinton Is Thinking hotter
- DaniMarie thinks What Bill Clinton Is Thinking is Fail
- What Bill Clinton Is Thinking is starting to get hot on Twitter Tweet It
This isn’t much of an anecdote, but I once ran into Bill Clinton on the golf course at St. Andrews where I went to college. I happened to be carrying a French Press, for reasons that I won’t go into, and he said to me, “Is that a cafetiere? I love those things.” Then he went to go hit his shot and just wailed the golf ball into the trees, like, not even near the course. I could have hit a better shot, and I’ve only played golf a couple of times. Then he took a mulligan. This is a true story, and I only tell it here because it’s very rarely relevant and this is about as close as it gets.