Netanyahu's bomb cartoon is the Middle East equivalent of Clint Eastwood's chair.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu punctuated his attempt to rally the international community against Iran’s nuclear program with a crude illustration of a bomb in a speech to the United Nations General Assembly in New York today — a move that drew him an immediate wave of mockery, but also reflected an astute grasp of the changing media climate.
But while Goldberg, an Atlantic writer key American voice on the politics of Israel, wasn’t impressed by Netanyahu’s gambit, the Israeli leader also accomplished at least part of what he’d set out to do: He offered a graphic designed for the raw, viral online conversation, which he immediately dominated.
“At this late hour, there is only one way to peacefully prevent Iran from getting atomic bombs and that’s by placing a clear red line on Iran’s nuclear weapons program,” Netanyahu said. “Red lines don’t lead to war; red lines prevent war.”
A former Israeli leader told BuzzFeed of the rhetorical move, “I think the PM did what he had to do in order to burn what he considers a very dangerous picture into people’s consciousness taking into account that it might draw some criticism.”
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
- 972mag.com readers just made Bibi And Bomb hotter
- realclearworld.com readers just made Bibi And Bomb hotter
- commentarymagazine.com readers just made Bibi And Bomb hotter
And another thing, if Iran are trying to acquire a nuclear weapon I totally understand why & would agree with them. In the past 10 years 3 of their neighbors have been either invaded or overthrown by the West, namely Iraq, Afghanistan & Libya. Talking of bombing Iran has been going on throughout, if I were the Iranians & wanted to protect my borders I would want a nuclear weapon ASAP, because after one single bomb test all of this talk of invading their country would cease, instantly. I don’t believe for one nano-second they would use the weapon unprovoked against Israel, the US or anyone else.
sorry to say but he’s a war mongering, double standard a*****e. First off his army chief stated a few months ago that he does not believe Iran are pursuing a bomb: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/9225641/Israel-army-chief-says-Iran-not-building-nuclear-bomb.html Which is at complete odds with Netanyahu’s scare mongering tactics in the above video. Secondly such double standards coming from a country that is an undeclared nuclear power, refuses to allow weapons inspectors in & refused to sign the NPT. Are constantly threatening to invade a neighboring country for “allegedly” trying to do the same, are entering that country & assassinating their citizens, then decries one (allegedly) mis-translated comment about being “wiped off the map” for justification for all of this? Sticks & stones come to mind. un-f*****g-believable.
- breitbart.com readers just made Bibi And Bomb hotter
- politico.com readers just made Bibi And Bomb hotter
- thedailybeast.com readers just made Bibi And Bomb hotter
- tumblr.com readers just made Bibi And Bomb hotter
- memeorandum.com readers just made Bibi And Bomb hotter
- benr11 Bibi And Bomb and thinks it’s WTF, Fail & LOL
- blogues.lapresse.ca readers just made Bibi And Bomb hotter
- washingtonmonthly.com readers just made Bibi And Bomb hotter
- nationaljournal.com readers just made Bibi And Bomb hotter
- johnc52 Bibi And Bomb and thinks it’s Win
- WorldCitizen thinks Bibi And Bomb is Fail
- soxi thinks Bibi And Bomb is WTF & Fail
- Bibi And Bomb is starting to get hot on Twitter Tweet It
- Bibi And Bomb is starting to get hot on Facebook Share It
- chrisa7 thinks Bibi And Bomb is Win
- chrisa27 thinks Bibi And Bomb is LOL & Fail
- markhemeonj thinks Bibi And Bomb is Win
- pamelami thinks Bibi And Bomb is Fail & LOL