1. Eating a hot dog that looks like this.
2. Going to galleries that sometimes double as hair salons during the day.
3. Your baristas will put agave nectar or horchata in your coffee, and it will be delivered to you with a flawless heart or rosette.
4. You can head to First Friday to explore downtown Phoenix’s art scene.
5. Mariachis are always a short phone call away, in case you need one at your birthday party.
6. You can head to Sky Harbor Airport for the best cuisine in any airport, ever. Really, though.
8. Cruising 16th Street for the amazing murals.
9. Eating a burrito and enjoying your favorite band in the same place. ALL IN A DAY’S WORK AT CRESCENT BALLROOM.
10. You can experience the perfectly weird literary scene.
11. Phoenix’s hip historian, Marshall Shore, will teach you about all the offbeat landmarks you’ve probably never heard of.
12. You can buy used books and gnomes in the same place. GNOMES.
13. You can eat a dish called “Nopales like home” that includes jackfruit and cactus.
14. Since it never rains or snows, you can just hang out on porches all day in the sun.
15. You can wander on Roosevelt Row and experience art, food, and culture all in a day’s walk.
16. It’s really freaking hot, but that just means you can swim any day of the year.
17. You can get in with downtown’s outsider art scene that isn’t scared of having fun.
18. You can go hiking with your dog and even get hiking boots for the pup.
19. You can see any major sports team play. Plus, CHARLES BARKLEY lives on, people.
20. It flies under the radar, but Phoenix’s pizza game is STRONG. HAVE SOME OF IT.
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›