1. Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo & Juliet was one of the first to really modernise Shakespeare.
2. Harold Perrineau’s Mercutio is the most powerful of all, amiright?
4. Mixing it up in The Tempest, Helen Mirren plays a female version of Prospero.
Can you believe Ben Whishaw played Ariel?!
10. Helena Bonham Carter has dabbled in Shakespeare.
13. 10 Things I Hate About You was a modern version of The Taming of the Shrew.
It blows your mind, doesn’t it?
16. Romeo and Juliet seeing each other for the first time…
… Yes I love Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo and Juliet. Claire Danes as Juliet is just brilliant.
17. Mark Rylance traditionally playing a female role in Twelfth Night.
Men played female roles in Shakespeare’s plays since it was deemed ‘dishonourable’ for women to act in Elizabethan England.
18. Ralph Fiennes directed and starred in his modernised version of Coriolanus.
19. West Side Story was inspired by Romeo & Juliet.
20. Even Russell Brand has done Shakespeare, starring alongside Helen Mirren in The Tempest.
- France and Russia have agreed to coordinate their airstrikes with the U.S. against ISIS. ›
- Russia's athletic federation has accepted its suspension after a report found evidence of "widespread doping." ›
- Adele's record-breaking album "25" has now sold more than 3 million copies in the U.S. ›