1. Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo & Juliet was one of the first to really modernise Shakespeare.
4. Mixing it up in The Tempest, Helen Mirren plays a female version of Prospero.
Can you believe Ben Whishaw played Ariel?!
13. 10 Things I Hate About You was a modern version of The Taming of the Shrew.
It blows your mind, doesn’t it?
16. Romeo and Juliet seeing each other for the first time…
… Yes I love Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo and Juliet. Claire Danes as Juliet is just brilliant.
17. Mark Rylance traditionally playing a female role in Twelfth Night.
Men played female roles in Shakespeare’s plays since it was deemed ‘dishonourable’ for women to act in Elizabethan England.