1. First, let’s put any questions you might have about what exactly the riot grrrl movement IS to bed.
2. Since its beginnings in the 1990s, riot grrrl has aimed to empower, educate, and help women to feel less alienated by a society that can be discriminatory and hurtful to them.
4. It encourages women to support one another instead of competing with each other in order to help them both in their individual relationships and on the whole.
6. It challenges not only big-deal gendered sociopolitical issues, but also examples of everyday sexism faced by women, like street harassment.
8. It encourages women to take a more comfortable ownership of their bodies instead of feeling ashamed of them.
10. It offers support and validation to women and tries to help make their experiences feel valid and real.
12. It has the power to turn hatred into celebration and love.
14. Really, when it comes to riot grrrl, the message all comes down to this:
16. And you better believe it.