Black cats get a bad rap — in part because of the short story of the same name by Edgar Allen Poe — but real kitty connoisseurs know that they’re sweet and lovable companions. In honor of Halloween, the best of the bunch are compiled below!
42. This alley cat slinking and skulking its way across cobblestones under the moonlight.
40. This cat that’s always on the bounce. Where’s it going? Straight into your feels!
39. This cat snuggling with its favorite stuffed animal, a pink duck.
36. This vampire cat that’s really nailing that whole Halloween thing.
34. This cat that probably could have picked a better spot for a game of hide-and-seek.
32. This Russian cat that has decided in no uncertain terms that the dance party is over. OVER.
31. These hardcore cats that are doing their best to keep the scene alive.
Source: Art Yucko
30. This cat that’s on the phone with a really good divorce lawyer.
Source: For The Love Of Black Cats
28. This cat auditioning for an endorsement deal with Puma.
Source: Friendly Beings
27. This cat that’s sailing the high seas in search of adventure, doggy outposts to plunder, and buried catnip treasure.
26. This cat that got lost in the sleeping bag and then popped his head out at just the right time. (Disclosure: he’s mine!)
Here he is again. Resistance, as they say, is futile. (Likes boxes, LOVES bags.)
24. This cat and his dolphin friend, indisputable proof that the species can co-exist with marine life.
Source: F Yeah, Black Cats
23. This kitten in a paper sack that’s threatening to redline the cute meter.
Source: F Yeah, Black Cat
21. This cat that doesn’t like to share. Apparently, it didn’t get the memo about the importance of social.
20. This cat that just wants to slide back and forth on the hardwoods.
It’s only the sweetest thing I’ve seen on the Internet this year, NBD.
19. The (unnamed) cat from Coraline.
17. This panther cat that posed with Janet Jackson for album art.
16. Caffrey, a stately Persian that lives in Woking, Surrey (UK). The 13-year-old lost his left hind leg to a speeding motorist in 2003, its frontal mate to amputation late in 2012.
To the surprise of his veterinarians, Caffrey has adapted to his new condition with aplomb, regaining “near perfect balance” with help from his doting owners and supporters. #herocat
Source: SWNS TV
13. Sable, the crossing guard cat that greets students at a Washington high school every day
12. The telepathic cat from 1999’s “Go”. It knows you’re tripping balls on Ecstasy right now.
11. The cat from the Anxiety Cat meme. He’s really anxious, about everything, for reals. (One finds it instantly relatable…)
So popular was Anxiety Cat that he/she later resurfaced in that faux Cats For Gold infographic. (Side note: it’s still funny.)
10. Emily the Strange’s gaggle of companions: Mystery (star choker), Nee Chee (striped tail), Miles (xxx-ed eye), and Sabbath (ear tear).
Source: Emily The Strange
9. Salem, the talking cat from “Sabrina The Teenage Witch”.
7. Eye In The Dark, Norman Reedus’ furry companion.
6. Catwoman’s cat in “Batman Returns”, the one that the Penguin held temporarily captive with his umbrella blade (spoiler alert: the kitty got away unharmed!).
Source: Warner Bros.
I’m also including Michelle Pfeiffer’s portrayal of Cat Woman in Tim Burton’s “Batman Returns”.
4. Emilio, the cat from the Business Cat meme.
3. The black cat slinking about at the 2:34 mark of the video for “Stray Cat Strut”.
2. This Christmas tree composed of black cats with glowing eyes. Sorry, not sorry.
1. A short-lived but influential Parisian cabaret (likely the world’s first), Le Chat Noir has become shorthand for French culture, sophistication, and adult entertainment with a risqué quality.
The iconic image, illustrated by Théophile-Alexandre Steinlen, has been endlessly spoofed, including the example below, a personal fave. (My cat as I wished he was IRL…)