First, let’s get the obvious out of the way: Olivia Pope and President Fitzgerald Grant are devastatingly attractive people.
It’s really fun to watch pretty people be pretty together.
Sometimes the two of them are super duper cute.
They also have amazing chemistry.
Those sex scenes? Whew.
That said, the Olivia-Fitz union, popularly called Olitz, is kind of a horrible thing.
It had to be said. Here’s why:
1. Fitz is the opposite of a good person.
He’s an adulterer who emotionally abuses both his wife and his mistress, murdered a woman dying of cancer in a hospital, and shot down a plane full of civilians. Let us not be too blinded by his brooding good looks to forget all that.
2. As far as Olivia knows, the man she wants to marry murdered her mother.
And she’s at least partially okay with that.
3. Olivia is a wishy washy mess held together by great sounding, fast-talking speeches.
She’s always like, “I will not be summoned!” But she’s basically at his beck and call all the time. Epic eye roll.
4. Their relationship is waaaaaay unhealthy.
Fitz plays Olivia like a fiddle and is constantly sabotaging her relationships with other men, like that gorgeous Jake. Player hater of the year.
5. Speaking of Jake, he’s a MUCH better choice.
He’s not married, he’s super fine, seems to have at least an inch of integrity, is honest with Olivia, and looks sooooo good sweaty.
6. The Olitz back-and-forth is sooooo boring now.
Are they? Aren’t they? Who can keep up?! We need an Olitz-o-Meter in the corner of the screen so we’ll know whether they’re in love or not during any given week.
7. The ridiculousness is spreading beyond the show with “Terry.”
A walk through the SS Terry hashtag on Tumblr is full of rabid, crazed fans rooting for the Kerry-Tony hybrid in real life. Come on, guys. They’re both married to other people! Kerry is pregnant Stop the madness.
8. It really is time for Mellie to get her propers.
She has her faults, sure, but come on. The things she has endured for the sake of the man she loves, only to have him flaunt his side lady in her face — the joy she’d get with the obliteration of Olitz would be so worth it.