1. Not having to run and hide from the rain.
Remember having to dive for cover or find something to put over your head as soon as the sky threatened rain? Remember having to schedule your outdoor activities around the weather? No more of that! Run around in those life-giving drops.
2. Humid day? Watch your hair spring to life as it just drinks it all up.
It may not be so great for stretched styles, but those free kinks, curls and coils just might flourish in the wet air.
3. The joy of being able to swim again.
Ditch the swim cap and jump on in!
4. The mood boost that comes with finally mastering that style you’ve been working on for weeks.
Can’t nobody tell you nothin’.
5. Not having to go to a salon to get a gorgeous ‘do.
Natural hair encourages self-maintenance, bolstered by an amazing online community full of tips and tutorials.
6. And all the money you save on doing it yourself.
Natural salons are not cheap.
7. That feeling when someone fawns over your hair, asks where you got it done, and you say “Oh, girl, I did this myself!”
Best. Feeling. Ever.
8. The versatility.
Being slick and conservative on Monday and big and boisterous on Tuesday is easy as pie.
9. No pockets? No problem!
You’re forever finding stuff that doesn’t belong in your hair anyway. Stick something you need in there every now and again.
10. If you somehow find yourself without a pillow at bedtime, your fluffy hair makes a great substitute.
11. The elation you feel when you’re finally able to put your hair in a ponytail again after a big chop.
It isn’t that long hair is better, but knowing that your hair is healthy enough to actually grow is a big dang deal.
12. All the time spent with your hands in your hair is giving you an impressive set of biceps.
Welcome to the gun show!
13. All the friends you make by striking up random conversations with other naturals.
And at natural hair meet-ups and events. It’s the perfect icebreaker!
14. Your hair is excellent insulation in the winter.
Who cares if you can’t fit a hat over your head? You don’t need it!
15. New growth is now a blessing, not a curse.
Bring it on!!
16. You can go as hard as you want at the gym without worrying about sweating out your hair.
Get it in! No more excuses!
17. And without having to worry about sweat, you can tear the club up to your heart’s content.
Turn down for what?!
18. Not having to spend a ton of time on your hair if you don’t want to.
It’s it’s high- or low-maintenance as you make it.
19. Even when you think your hair looks a mess, you still get 10,000 compliments on it.
20. Since going natural, you seem to get tons more free drinks at the bar.
That hair is an investment in more ways than one!
21. When you straighten your hair and people tell you they like it better natural.
It’s not that you need anyone else’s validation, because your opinion of yourself is the only one that matters. But there’s something awesome in knowing that other people recognize that the way you were made is okay.
22. And best of all: being confident enough in yourself to not care what anyone else thinks of you or your hair.
There’s a special kind of strength that comes with embracing yourself because of how you were made, not in spite of. Congratulations on finding your light and refusing to let others blow it out!