1. Lupita Nyong’o basically runs the world right now.
After her breakout role in the award-winning 12 Years a Slave, the actress has captured the media’s attention with her beauty and grace, and has become an undisputed role model for women of color.
2. Nyong’o’s list of wins got just a little bit longer when it was announced that she is the new face of Lancome Cosmetics.
3. The announcement follows an online campaign to land Nyong’o a spot as a spokesmodel for MAC Cosmetics.
Nyong’o inspired women of color to demand that they become a visible presence in an industry where, according to Essence, black women spend as much as $7.5 billion each year. Nyong’o’s appointment marks the first time that Lancome, founded in 1935, has ever had a black female spokesperson.
4. This partnership is sure to prove lucrative for both Lancome, poised enjoy the spoils of Nyongo’s fans, and women of color who can see a bit of themselves reflected where they had previously been erased.
9. Sizzle, Lupita!!
- Speaking of climate change, can you pass this basic quiz about it? ›