1. The Kentucky Derby is known all over the world as “the most exciting two minutes in sports.”
But what you may not know is that its also a much anticipated excuse to get dressed up and amazingly fabulous and incredibly drunk.
2. This year, NBC will be adding fashion coverage to its Derby telecasts with champion figure skaters John Weir and Tara Lipinski at the helm.
The Kentucky Derby is one of the most popular sporting events of the year among women. NBC’s coverage drew 16.2 million viewers last year, 51% of whom were women.
3. The fashion conscious Weir and Lipinski are obvious choices for style commentary in the sports world.
4. Especially Weir, who is basically more fabulous than any of us could ever hope to be.
You could never.
5. NBC’s fashion coverage will work well to service viewers who know that the Kentucky Derby, is more than just a horse race.
The glitz and glamor is as big a draw as the race itself. Last year’s fashion forward attendees included designer Christian Siriano, Lauren Conrad, and the outrageously dapper Harris twins of “Storage Wars,” pictured above, swagged out to the 9s.
6. So Memaw’s really gonna have to step it up this year.
That hat? Uh uh, girl.