5. Shirley Phelps-Roper, a leader at Westboro, was there to personally condemn Sam and his supporters.
“They comforted him in his sin, Michael Sam, this past week,” she said. “They just absolutely went crazy when he announced and told the world he is a filthy pervert and a rebel against God. They fawned all over him.”
6. But the small protest was overwhelmed by a silent wall of hundreds of students organized on Facebook by Mizzou sophomores Kelaney Lakers and Alix Carruth to “stand with Sam.”
“We’re both Christians,” Lakers told KRCG 13. “The thing is God is love. What they are doing is hateful, but being hateful is a sin. We’re also supposed to show love to them. We are not going to be yelling things at them or be vulgar. It’s not about that.”
9. Watch KRCG 13’s report:
10. Watch Sam’s standing ovation:
- The battle to replace Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, who died Saturday, is expected to elevate the role of the court in an unprecedented way.
- U.S. Republican presidential candidates had their nastiest debate yet in South Carolina 🇺🇸
- And "Deadpool" made $135 million this weekend, the best U.S. debut for an R-rated film. That's a lotta chimichangas 💵