Proper blitz spirit in the office as we swap commute stories #tubestrike
1. Londoners are very proud about heroically making it into work despite the horror of a Tube strike shutting down part of the transport network.
2. Meanwhile, in the South West:
The region has been battered by gale force winds and massive waves. The weather has been so severe that the Shipping Forecast had to use the term “phenomenal” to describe the wave height, the highest rating they have.
4. The waves have caused significant damage, unlike - say - a Tube strike.
5. Large parts of the sea wall at Dawlish have been washed away, which is worse than having to stand on a crowded bus.
6. That’s a problem, because the sea wall is right next to a major train line, which is now shut. Very, very shut.
7. The ground the railway line was resting on has washed away, you see, so the rails are now just suspended in mid-air.
Update: the line is likely to be shut for at least six weeks.