1. Everybody was very excited for the England vs. Italy match.
2. The BBC got us in the mood with… whatever this was.
3. Just before the match, everybody had the same thought.
5. While Steven Gerrard was full of enthusiasm for our national anthem.
6. Unbelievably, England started well.
7. And then England SCORED. Except they didn’t. But the caption writers thought they did.
8. In their defence, it really did look in.
9. There was a horrifying possibility that England might do well.
10. Luckily the pundits were there to save us from excitement. Phil Neville in particular.
14. But still, England were looking good.
17. Then Italy scored. Obviously.
19. But then England actually scored!
Warren Little / Getty Images
20. There were wild celebrations. This dance.
21. In fact the celebrations were so wild that our physio got injured and had to be stretchered off with a dislocated ankle..
23. Classic England tactics.
24. Poor Gary Lewin :-(
30. Everything was evenly balanced.
31. Although some players tried to fool the referee into thinking they’d scored by pretending to be a football.
34. And then shortly after the match started again, Mario Balotelli scored for Italy.
Elsa / Getty Images
35. …and Twitter looked like this again.
36. Joe Hart decided to pretend to be a football too.
Pool / Getty Images
38. Italy started rubbing it in a bit by offering to act as England’s replacement physio.
39. It was all getting desperate.
40. Wayne Rooney took literally the worst corner in the history of corners, which kind of summed up how things were going.
42. Wayne Rooney didn’t have a great match.
44. …but at least the England players weren’t the only ones having a bad day.
45. And in the end, there was no way back.
Tom Phillips is the UK editorial director for BuzzFeed and is based in London.
In The News Today
- The U.S. Democratic presidential candidates are having their first debate of the 2016 election cycle ?? ›
- Marlon James has won the Man Booker Prize for his Bob Marley-inspired "A Brief History of Seven Killings." It's the first win for a Jamaican ? ›