This is incredible! A 100 year old post box appeared on our ancient Sonning Bridge! The villagers are puzzled so http://t.co/bNZzXSPNW9
1. For some reason, a postbox has appeared on a bridge in the middle of the river in Sonning-on-Thames, Berkshire.
Nobody seems entirely sure who put it there - although it seems to have been added around a week ago. You can’t actually post letters in it, because it’s a) just a dummy, and b) in the middle of a river.
2. The Royal Mail have denied the postbox is anything to do with them.
“The recent appearance of a postbox frontage on the side of the river bridge at Sonning is a mystery to us,” a Royal Mail spokesperson told the BBC. “It is certainly not an operational posting facility and we have no knowledge of how it arrived at this location.”
3. Noted cutlery-fiddler and self-proclaimed psychic Uri Geller - who has lived in Sonning for many years - also declared himself to be mystified by it.
4. Here is a picture of Uri Geller pointing in confusion at the postbox.
5. Although he did hazard this not-terribly-helpful guess:
“It could be the work of mischievous child queen Isabella who still weeps in the river for her luckless Richard the second.”