1. London newspaper City AM reports that the skyscraper at 20 Fenchurch Street - commonly known as “the Walkie-Talkie” - has damaged several vehicles parked close to it by melting them with the sun’s rays.
2. The problem is that one side of the Walkie-Talkie - which is still under construction - is effectively a giant curved mirror.
3. So when the sun is in the right position, the building focuses the light into one spot…
City AM reports that multiple vehicles were damaged by the sunbeam last week.
6. For example, the sunlight warped some of the panels on businessman Martin Lindsay’s (very expensive) Jaguar XJ beyond repair.
Okay, the damage is slightly less dramatic than the previous GIF might have suggested.
7. Pedestrians have been complaining about the spot of incredibly bright light for the past week.
8. Eddie Cannon, a driver whose vehicle was also hit by the melty sunbeam, said:
The van looks a total mess – every bit of plastic on the left hand side and everything on the dashboard has melted, including a bottle of Lucozade that looks like it has been baked.
The building’s developers say they are investigating - and, as a precaution, have banned parking in the affected spots.
10. But for now, Mr. Lindsay is left to look upset next to his slightly melted Jaguar.
11. Update: The Walkie-Talkie is now accused of setting a barber’s shop on fire.
12. Also you can fry an egg with the death ray, or set fire to journalists.
AMAZING SCENES: @jimwaterson fries an egg on the pavement, live on @SkyNews #WalkieScorchie
- Police in Athens used pepper spray on protesters two days ahead of Greece's major bailout vote.
- A medical helicopter crashed in Colorado. The crash killed the pilot and injured two crew members.