1. This picture of Taliban officals opening a political office in Qatar, signalling the start of potential peace talks in Afghanistan.
A journey of a thousand miles…
2. This photo of an Afghan man offering tea to a US soldier.
3. This photo of Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud meeting Obama.
The newly-elected president visited Washington in January and was congratulated on “the impressive security and political gains over the past year in Somalia”. It’s the first time Somalian government has been recognized in twenty years.
4. This photo of people at a York mosque offering tea to EDL supporters.
5. This photo of protesters giving a Brazilian general a cake on his birthday.
6. This photo of ex-IRA leader Martin McGuinness shaking hands with the Queen.
They traded olive branches in Belfast last year.
7. This photo of Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin shaking the hand of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat…
OK, so one was assassinated and another died confined in a compound not long after, and the peace process is still a work in progress two decades later, BUT this was a step in the right direction.
8. This pic of staunch anti-communist Nixon pressing the flesh of Mao Zedong on a visit to China in ‘72.
9. This snap of Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin welcoming Egyptian President Anwar Sadat in ‘77, which lead to a peace treaty a year later.
10. This picture of U.S. President Ronald Reagan getting cosy by the fire with Soviet Premier Mikhail Gorbachev.
11. South African president F.W. de Klerk and Nelson Mandela agreeing to end white-minority rule.
12. This letter, recalling the time when English and German soldiers called a truce on Christmas Day, 1914, during World War 1 to play football together.
13. This logo for India Pakistan Peace Day, which has been held every summer since 2004.
14. This story revealing that Korean dictator Kim Jong-un once starred in Grease.
Surely he wouldn’t nuke the home of Danny & Sandy?
15. This photo of the Kingslayer saving Brienne of Tarth from a bear
16. This snap of two supporters from arch rivals Manchester United and Manchester City shaking hands
Fabrice Muamba persuaded them to join forces for a charity run.
17. This shot of three rival Turkish teams united.
It took weeks of police brutality to instigate this solidarity, but amazingly supporters for arch rivals Fenerbahce, Galatasaray, and Besiktas were caught in an embrace.
18. This picture (along with many others) depicting solidarity for Boston from Afghanistan
20. This stunning photo of Yoko Ono’s Imagine Peace Tower in Iceland
The impressive shaft of light was unveiled on John Lennon’s 67th birthday (Oct 9th, 2007) and symbolizes the couple’s campaign for peace.