1. Super Smash Brothers originally had no Nintendo characters at all.
Really. And it was called “Dragon King: The Fighting Game”
2. Falco from Star Fox 64 is actually a pheasant, not a falcon.
Yes, it’s true.
3. The Gruntilda’s Lair theme in Banjo-Kazooie is based off the song “Teddy Bear’s Picnic”
4. People successfully sued Nintendo for injuries sustained while rotating the control stick during various Mario Party minigames.
Nintendo actually lost and had to pay out some money to over-zealous gamers.
5. The annoying rabbit in Super Mario 64 is named MIPS.
It’s an acronym for microprocessor without interlocked pipeline stages.
6. Super Mario 64 was originally developed for the SNES.
But it was ultimately delayed and was a flagship release title for the N64.
7. There was a multiplayer mode planned in Banjo-Tooie that’d let the second player use “Devil Bottles” to take control of enemies and even bosses to attack the first player.
It didn’t make the cut though. It’s still in the game’s code, however.
9. In Goldeneye, the mysterious island you can see at the very edge of The Dam can be reached with a Gameshark and was originally part of the level, not just a secret.
Bond originally had to use a boat throughout the level.
10. The enemies in Goldeneye have the faces of Rare (the company made the game) staff members.
A good looking bunch…
11. Despite screenshots, Wrath and cage matches are not unlockable in WCW/nWo Revenge.
Wrath can only be unlocked with a game shark and is incomplete. Cage matches aren’t in the game period.
12. Diddy Kong Racing was so popular that a sequel, Donkey Kong Racing, was planned but, alas, it never saw the light of day.
Read about it here. Sounds like it could’ve been great.
13. In Pokemon Stadium, the designers messed up Electabuzz, giving him an extra finger on each hand.
14. In Japan, Pokemon Stadium was actually called “Pokemon Stadium 2” since an earlier Pokemon Stadium game was released there but not in the US.
15. The Bremen Mask from The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask has an interesting story behind it.
The musician who gives you the mask tells a story that’s an homage to one of Grimms’ fairy tales.
16. The Keatons in Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask are likely references to the Japanese mythological creatures, the Kitsune.
Read about it here.
17. Nintendo planned to add a female Wario/Walluigi character to the Mario Tennis roster to rival Princess Peach.
- President Obama unveiled a climate change plan on Monday that calls for federal limits on the amount of carbon power plants can produce.
- Puerto Rico has failed to make a $58 million debt payment, and credit rating agency Moody's says the U.S. territory is in default.
- The man accused of fatally shooting a Memphis, Tennessee, police officer on Saturday has turned himself in.