We have all at some point realized, though Goofy and Pluto are both dogs, Goofy has a little more going on. He wears clothes, stands upright, and goes skiing, while Pluto wears a collar and lives in the yard.
Here is a picture of Goofy riding a bike like a human, and Pluto eating a bone (a traditionally non-human food item).
This may seem like a single oversight by the Disney team
There is precedent to say that these arbitrary distinctions are more the rule than the exception.
Here are 5 examples of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentient Disney Animals
4. 1. Beauty and the Beast
In a film overrun with talking items, there is a pair of animals with opposing amounts of human characteristics.
5. Phillipe the Horse
Here is a picture of Phillipe, Belle’s horse. He looks terrified. Not horse terrified. BIG WHITE HUMAN EYE TERRIFIED. And what is it that terrifies him?
6. These Straight Up Wolves
These wolves don’t feel frightened or sassy. They feel one thing: HUNGRY. That’s how wolves feel.
Here is a great visual example of “hungry” vs. “aware of his own mortality.”
8. 2. The Rescuers
In a movie about talking mice, you’d expect a little more consistency.
9. Evinrude the Dragonfly
Though he can not speak like his mousy cohorts, Evinrude the dragonfly clearly has created friendships so strong, he is willing to put himself at risk for the good of the group. He eventually finds himself at risk when he runs into…
While Evinrude is smart enough to hide inside a glass bottle, these drone-like killing machines are too dumb to realize they can’t bite through it.
11. 3. The Rescuers Down Under
13 years separate this sequel from the original. Apparently that is not enough time to clear up these incongruities.
12. Marahute the Eagle
This eagle has a name and lets a kid ride on it’s back, but other than that it just soars majestically, the one thing eagles do.
13. Wilbur the Albatross
This albatross is giving a thumbs up and wearing a bra.
14. 4. The Lion King
Even in Pride rock there is confusion as to which animals are important enough to think, and it can all be summed up in one, major, life altering scene: The Stampede.
15. The Wildebeests
Just look. Look at those blank faces. Those dead, dumb eyes. They are running for no reason. They. Feel. NOTHING.
Do you see this?!?! This lion is CRYING. CRYING HUMAN TEARS. I guess someone has to after those remorseless wildebeests.
17. 5. Aladdin
Here we might have the most egregious violation of the distribution of animal anthropomorphism. The examples will be offered from “least sentient” to “talking bird.”
18. Rajah the Tiger
Rajah is a house cat. He is a very large, very dangerous house cat, but more or less Rajah sticks to purring when petted and rubbing against his master.
19. Abu the Monkey
Here is a picture of Abu displaying the human sin of greed. How many monkeys do you know who understand the monetary value of a rare jewel? He may not have the gift of speech, but he is very human.
Don’t think he has human qualities? Here is a photo of Abu portrayed by an actual human child.
22. Gilbert Gottfried
Next time we’ll talk about who has to wear pants.
Please validate your account to contribute content.
Preview Your Response
- annief4 thinks 5 Examples Of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentie... is LOL
- mollya3 thinks 5 Examples Of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentie... is LOL
- agh 5 Examples Of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentie... and thinks it’s Win & LOL
- jakeh21 thinks 5 Examples Of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentie... is Awkward
- McMolli thinks 5 Examples Of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentie... is Awkward & LOL
- Maricela Gonzalez thinks 5 Examples Of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentie... is Awkward
- elvisdepressley thinks 5 Examples Of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentie... is LOL
- ChrisRox thinks 5 Examples Of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentie... is WTF
- TheBoyKing thinks 5 Examples Of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentie... is LOL
- 5 Examples Of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentie... is starting to get hot on Facebook Share It
- 5 Examples Of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentie... is starting to get hot on Twitter Tweet It
- Ben Running 5 Examples Of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentie...
- Lindsey Weber 5 Examples Of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentie...
- Katie Notopoulos 5 Examples Of Sentient Vs. Non-Sentie... and thinks it’s LOL & OMG