1. Here’s one of the beaches on the popular resort island of Koh Samet:
2. Here’s how one of the beaches looks now:
3. A pipeline leak spilled more than 13,000 gallons of oil into the Gulf of Thailand off Rayong province on Saturday, the Associated Press reported. The slick is now washing ashore on Samet Island.
4. About 1,500 workers, soldiers, and volunteers are involved in a clean up operation at Prao Bay beach.
5. Samet Island, famous for its white sands and emerald waters, draws around 1 million tourists every year.
6. Historically, this is Thailand’s fourth major oil spill.
Tasneem Nashrulla is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in New York.
Contact Tasneem Nashrulla at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here Are The Top Stories