1. On Monday, Feb. 10, a city court in Bangalore charged Pascal Mazurier, consular attache to Consulate General of France, with allegedly raping his daughter when she was three-and-a-half years old.
2. Mazurier was arrested by the Bangalore police in June 2012, after his wife, Suja Jones, accused him of sexually abusing their minor daughter twice.
Indian activists from Campaign Against Child Labour at a demonstration demanding the arrest of Pascal Mazurier in Bangalore on June 18, 2012.
3. The French official had filed an application asking for the case to be dismissed. On Jan. 7, the court refused to discharge him and the judge ruled there was sufficient evidence for him to face trial.
In his discharge application, Mazurier had contended that there was no necessity of a trail as the investigation had not proved his involvement in the offense.
Mazurier’s counsel has claimed his client was “innocent” as the results of a DNA test were deemed “inconclusive.”
4. The special public prosecutor contended that Mazurier’s involvement could be proved in the course of the trial. He also said Mazurier would be charged with unnatural offenses as there was sufficient evidence to show that the child had been sodomized.
After Mazurier’s arrest last year, France refused to interfere in the case, stating that the accused did not enjoy diplomatic immunity.
5. Mazurier told reporters in December 2013, that the “ordeal and ill-treatment” he had faced was comparable to the “humiliation” suffered by Devyani Khobragade, the Indian diplomat who had been strip-searched and arrested in New York.
He demanded that he should be allowed to meet his three children which was denied to him for the last 18 months, the Deccan Chronicle reported.
Mazurier told the media:
“My son who is three years now and he might call me uncle next time when he sees me. It is 18 moths since I have seen him.
A false case has been foisted against me on alleged charges of raping my three-year-and-ten month-old daughter. But the DNA samples have not matched.
It is humiliating to wait for several years for justice. My children are being harassed and abused daily by my wife. Justice delayed is justice denied.”