1. Meet Shiva Keshavan, a 31-year-old luge athlete who is India’s best hope for a medal at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
2. This is Keshavan’s fifth time at the Olympics.
3. Keshavan, who was born in a small village in the Himalayas, was inspired by luge videos and the movie Cool Runnings as a teenager.
At the age of 16, he became the world’s youngest luge athlete to ever compete in the Winter Olympics held in Nagano, Japan.
4. India has no luge tracks to practice on so Keshavan decided to use the Himalayan highway as his training track, reported Time.com.
He replaced the blades on his sled with wheels to speed down the sharp, dangerous inclines and turns of the mountain road.
5. He maneuvered himself around cars zipping up and down the highway.
7. He sped under a huge stationary truck in the middle of the road.
(H/t The Aerogram)
- Uber has suspended its low-cost UberPOP service in France following protests last week.
- After two previous missions failed, Russia's Progress rocket took off to resupply the International Space Station ?
- BP has agreed to pay a $18.7 billion fine to settle legal actions over the 2010 Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- Liberia has reported three new cases of Ebola this week. The country was declared Ebola-free on May 9.