1. The Holy City of Jerusalem was blanketed in snow after being struck by the worst snowstorm in 20 years.
A man walks in the snowstorm at the Western Wall in Jerusalem’s Old City.
4. Ten to 15 inches of snow piled up in the city center and in the outskirts.
A Beduin woman walks next to shacks covered with snow following a snowstorm at the outskirts of Jerusalem.
5. More than 500 stranded motorists were provided shelter at the International Conference Center in the city.
6. “The elders of Jerusalem don’t remember such a snowstorm in years,” an official with the Jerusalem Municipality told a radio station. He said that the city was seeing its greatest snowfall since 1992.
8. The snowstorm, of rare intensity, blanketed Jerusalem and parts of the occupied West Bank on Friday, choking off the city and stranding hundreds in vehicles on impassable roads.
A dog stands in the snow at a park.
12. Tens of thousands of families in Jerusalem and its outlying areas were cut off from power, The Jerusalem Post reported.
People walk to a temporary shelter in Jerusalem during the snowstorm.
13. Schools and highways were shut for two days as residents were advised to stay at home.
15. A municipality spokesperson warned of a second snowstorm on Friday, estimated to be three times the size of Thursday night’s downfall. Residents were strongly cautioned to stay off the roads while the city braced for at least 20 inches of snow.
Western Wall and the Dome of the Rock, some of the holiest sites for for Jews and Muslims, are covered in snow in Jerusalem.
A woman swims in the pool at the David Citadel Hotel during the snowstorm.
Swans in their snow-covered enclosure at Jerusalem’s Biblical Zoo.
A man walks through snow near Jerusalem’s Old City walls.
A man rides his bicycle on a snow-covered road.
After the snowstorm, a worshipper gets ready for his Friday prayer in front of the Dome of the Rock in the compound known to Muslims as Noble Sanctuary and to Jews as Temple Mount, in Jerusalem’s Old City.
Snow falls at night over Jerusalem.
Pedestrians walk through the falling snow in Jerusalem.
Palestinians conduct their Friday prayer in front of the Dome of the Rock.