The Islamist group Boko Haram kidnapped 276 schoolgirls last year — and more than 200 are still missing. Marches took place in Nigeria and across Europe on Tuesday and more are scheduled in the U.S. later in the day.
The number of children forced from their homes has more than doubled in the past year, according to a United Nations report. Tuesday marks the one-year anniversary of the abduction of over 270 girls from a single school.
Nigeria’s hotly contested election actually went pretty smoothly, despite what you may have heard. Jina Moore is in Abuja, Nigeria, for BuzzFeed News.
Locals from Damasak reported that the militant Islamic group passed through town shortly after troops from Niger and Chad secured it. Group members killed 50 and kidnapped 400 to 500 women and children as they left.
“Dozens” of women who’d been forced into marriages with Boko Haram fighters were murdered earlier this week, witnesses said. “They don’t want any infidel to…have access to them.” BuzzFeed News’ Jina Moore reports from Nigeria.
A year after Prince proposed private troops for Nigeria, the West African nation is now using mercenaries. Prince’s old firm, Blackwater, used to contract with the U.S. to protect convoys and officials, and train foreign armies — but caused controversy when its employees killed Iraqi civilians.
The message was released Thursday in an audiotape, purportedly from Islamic State spokesman Mohammed al-Adnani.
The message, thought to be from Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, was released on Saturday.
Chad says it has killed 207 members of Boko Haram in clashes this week. WARNING: Graphic images.
The victims were shot or burned to death.
The explosion took place in the northeastern city of Gombe, killing at least three and injuring 18 people. It is the city’s second attack in three days.
Abubakar Shekau has said the group carried out the mass killings in the northeastern Nigerian town of Baga.
About 30 hostages abducted by suspected members of the Nigerian Islamist group in a deadly cross border raid over the weekend were reportedly freed on Monday after a gun fight with military forces.
Before and after photographs show that nearly 4,000 structures were destroyed in two Nigerian towns during last week’s militant attacks.
The Islamist militant group has expressed support for last week’s terrorist assault on the French satirical newspaper, according to a video posted online. The video could not immediately be verified.
Counter to estimates of nearly 2,000 dead, Nigeria is now claiming only 150 or so people were killed in last week’s assault.
Reports from on the ground indicate as many as 2,000 people may have been killed in the assault.
The Islamist terror group also reportedly killed several people in the town of Baga, residents told media outlets.
In two days, two suicide bombers have blown themselves up in the Nigerian city of Gombe.
The attack happened on Sunday in northern Nigeria, according to CNN.
New data from the BBC World Service and academics at King’s College London shows that there were more than 600 attacks in 14 countries in the month of November alone.
The blasts hit a crowded market in the city of Maiduguri.
This according to a new report, released Tuesday, based on the most comprehensive database of terrorist attacks.
The Nigerian terrorist group arrived in Chibok on Thursday, officials said.
At least 48 people — most of them students — are believed to have died after an explosion tore through a school assembly in the northern Nigerian town of Potiskum.
A new Human Rights Watch report featuring interviews with women captured by Boko Haram details the alleged atrocities committed by the Nigerian terrorist group.
Villagers, journalists and a bishop in northern Nigeria’s Adamawa state say dozens more women and girls have been abducted by militants. The incident is similar to the kidnapping of over 200 schoolgirls from Chibok in April.
Nigerian officials reportedly reached a cease-fire with the insurgent group. The agreement would reportedly allow for the release of 219 girls that the group abducted earlier this year — but some experts cautioned that the government’s claims could be politically motivated.
Humanitarian organizations and the parents of the kidnapped girls are calling on the Nigerian government to do more. President Obama has ordered the U.S. to do “everything it can to help the Nigerian government find and free the abducted girls.”
The kidnapping comes months after the group kidnapped more than 300 schoolgirls, most of whom remain missing.