Piccaddilly Line, 1907-1994.
Aldwych would have been the terminus of the Piccadilly line to Holborn and would have seen the Brompton & Piccadilly Circus and the Great Northern & Strand lines (which were never built) passing through it. It closed due to low passenger usage and the high cost of replacing its lifts. Nowadays, its platforms are occasionally used for filming.
Metropolitan Line, 1868-1936.
Aylesbury was built as part of the Metropolitan Railway’s plan to link Manchester to the continent. It didn’t happen and the station closed when the Metropolitan service was cut back to Amersham.
3. British Museum.
Central line, 1900-1933.
Before Holborn linked to the Piccadilly line, commuters had to walk overground to British Museum. It closed when Central line platforms opened at Holborn.
4. Brompton Road.
Piccadilly line, 1906-1934.
This station wasn’t considered necessary and was bricked up during WW2. When Knightsbridge got a new entrance, Brompton Road became defunct. However, its side lift remains in tact.
5. City Road.
Northern line, 1901-1922.
Located between Old Street and Angel, City Road closed when there was a roof collapse at Elephant &Castle and the entire line stopped working. It wasn’t rebuilt due to low passenger use, but its ventilation tower remains.
6. Down Street.
Piccadilly line, 1907 - 1932.
Down Street closed when Hyde Park Corner and Green Park’s entrances were built so near to it that it was no longer considered necessary.
7. Drayton Park.
Northern City line, 1904 - 1964.
The Drayton Park platform used to lie on the Highbury branch between Moorgate and Finsbury Park. It closed when its service transferred to National Rail.
8. Euston Road.
Warren Street’s original name was Euston Road, but its name changed before the service started operating.
9. Gillespie Road.
Arsenal was initially going to be called Gillespie Road, but the name was changed before the tube line started being used.
10. Great Central.
Marylebone was originally going to be called Great Central, but it never operated under that name.
11. Heath Street.
Hampstead was going to be called Heath Street, but its name became Hampstead before the station started being used.
12. King William Street.
Northern line, 1890-1900.
King William Street closed because it was so popular that Stockwell, the tube at the other end of the line, was too small to cope with the high volume of passengers coming into it. Its underground platforms were used as air raid shelters during the war.
Metropolitan line, 1868-1939.
Lord’s was closed to increase capacity on the Metropolitan line, after it was considered unnecessary when St John’s Wood opened nearby.
14. Mark Lane.
District & Circle line, 1884-1967.
Mark Lane was replaced by nearby Tower Hill, which provided a better service to Fenchurch Street.
15. Marlborough Road.
Metropolitan line, 1868-1939.
Like Lord’s, Marlborough Road was closed to increase capacity on the Metropolitan line, following the opening of St John’s Wood.
16. New Cross.
East London line, closed in 2006.
This branch was replaced by Clapham Junction, Crystal Palace, and West Croydon when the East London line closed. It is now operated by London Overground.
17. North End.
North End, which was intended to lie between Hampstead and Golder’s Green, was built but never opened.
18. North Weald.
Northern line, 1865-1994.
Located just past Ongar, North Weald was closed due to low passenger numbers. However, it reopened in 2004 as part of the Epping Ongar Railway.
19. Osterley Park & Spring Grove.
Piccadilly line, 1883-1934.
Osterley Park & Spring Grove was abandoned when Osterley station was built to its south-west, in order to provide additional capacity. Nowadays a bookshop inhabits the space where it used to be.
20. Park Royal & Twyford Abbey.
Piccadilly line, 1903 - 1931.
Park Royal & Twyford Abbey was initially opened to allow people to access the Royal Agricultural Show but was closed when the station was relocated to Park Royal to provide more convenient access.
21. Quainton Road.
Metropolitan line, 1872 - 1935.
Quainton Road was supposed to link Oxford to London, but it the rest of the planned line never materialised past Ayelsbury. It is now the home of the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre.
East London line,1876 - 2006.
This was closed down when Shoreditch High Street overground station was built.
23. South Kentish Town.
Northern line, 1907-1924.
Located (surprisingly) just south of Kentish Town, this station was closed after a strike at Lots Road Power Station. It was never reopened due to low passenger use.
24. St Mary’s.
District and Hammersmith & City lines
St Mary’s was closed when Aldgate East moved further east and it subsequently became obsolete. It was used as an air raid shelter during the war.
Aldwych was originally called Strand, but changed name to Aldwych before it ever opened.
26. Trafalgar Square.
Charing Cross was originally called Trafalgar Square. However, by the time the station opened, it was called Charing Cross.
27. York Road.
Piccadilly line, 1906-1932.
This station was closed because it was financially unsustainable and increased journey time between Finsbury Park and King’s Cross too significantly. However, the building is still visible between King’s Cross and Caledonian Road.
H/t Abandoned Stations.
- And President Obama actually made his daughters laugh at the annual White House turkey pardon. ›