1. Everyone thinks they know what homeschooling is like.
2. And it can be really hard to explain why their assumptions are wrong.
4. When really, your relationship with them is just extra-awesome!
6. People think that all homeschool classrooms look like…
7. When really, you can (and do) learn everywhere!
“And this is where I go to school.”
14. But really you’re like…
Group photo from Not Back To School Camp.
17. And is the socialization at public school really that awesome?
20. But in real life, lots of homeschooler couples are happy being different… together.
21. People think your parents teach you EVERYTHING…
24. Many older homeschoolers take supplemental classes at a community college.
25. You even have the freedom to take on an apprenticeship, volunteer positions, or a job.
Texas Home School Coalition interns.
26. Yes, homeschoolers are sometimes a little “different.”
28. But we are also totally awesome.
Actress/writer/gamer/nerd-queen Felicia Day was homeschooled throughout most of her childhood until she began attending college at age 16.
Illustrator and writer of cute animals, Beatrix Potter was schooled at home by a private governess. She once said “Thank goodness I was never sent to school; it would have rubbed off some of the originality.”
“Study without desire spoils the memory, and it retains nothing that it takes in.” -Leonardo da Vinci, who wasn’t formally schooled.
32. And as he points out, it’s awesome how flexible your schedule is…
36. Also, homeschooling prepares you for real life (because you’re in it!)
37. But some people are convinced that homeschooling is SO weird, no matter what you say.
39. Sometimes you end up saying things you don’t even mean in order to get someone to understand.
40. But let’s face it: school is hardly perfect either.
42. There isn’t one education solution for everyone, but everyone CAN learn something from homeschooling:
- France and Russia have agreed to coordinate their airstrikes with the U.S. against ISIS. ›
- And how well do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz. ›