1. Superglue can be used to save a baby’s life.
CNN reports that doctors at Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City weren’t sure what to do after 10-day-old Ashlyn Julian’s ultrasound revealed an aneurysm the size of an almond. With a baby as young as Ashlyn, any blood loss can be critical and surgery was a risky option. So her doctor decided to close the aneurysm using surgical superglue, a method that had been used previously on adults, but never on an infant. And it worked! Ashlyn’s long-term plan is now just “being a baby.”
2. A healthy kidney can be removed through a donor’s vagina.
Vaginas are the windows to the soul. “Removing the kidney through a natural opening should hasten the patient’s recovery and provide a better cosmetic result,” said Dr. Robert Montgomery, chief of transplant surgery at Johns Hopkins.
3. Ecstacy can be used to treat leukemia.
#PLUR. The study, reported by CBS news, “demonstrated that ‘analogues’ of MDMA (3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine) easily get inside cancer cells and possibly start “dissolving” them, according to a written statement released by the University of Birmingham, where the research was conducted.”
4. Freezing a baby might save their life
This baby just needed to chill. Discovery News says that doctors wrapped a baby who had an accelerated heart rate with cold gel to drop his temperature from 98.6F to 91.1F. “As soon as his heart started beating normally everything began to improve,” said his mother. “He’d been really puffy because his kidneys weren’t working, but all of a sudden he looked like a normal baby again.”
5. Dogs can detect lung cancer by smelling your breath.
Dogs are good at everything, basically. According to Science Daily, a stufy found that “In the breath of patients with lung cancer, there are likely to be different chemicals to normal breath samples and the dogs’ keen sense of smell can detect this difference at an early stage of the disease.”
6. Asthma symptoms can be relieved with a rollercoaster ride.
7. You might be able to restore your vision with a tooth implanted in your eye.
This procedure is so common that it has its own wikipedia entry. In other news: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
- Cyber Monday 2015 could be the biggest online sales day in history, according to data from Adobe. Shoppers are on track to spend nearly $3 billion 💳📲