1. Mike Trout’s UZR: 10.6
What is UZR? Ultimate Zone Rating is a defensive statistic favored by FanGraphs which attempts to quantify how many runs a player saved or gave up through their fielding. UZR is compiled through a combination of:
- Outfield Arm Runs. The number of runs above average that an outfielder saves with their arm by preventing runners to advance.
- Double-Play Runs. The amount of runs above average an infielder is in turning double-plays.
- Range Runs. How the fielder is able to get to balls hit in his vicinity – againcompared to the league-average
- Error Runs. How many more or fewer errors committed by the player compared to the league average for that position.
Adam Jones’ UZR: -6.7
2. Mike Trout’s Defensive WAR: 2.2
What is defensive WAR (dWAR)? A measure developed by Baseball Reference calculating the number of wins that a player contributes to his team above league-average (which, when it comes to defense, is probably also replacement level). It is compiled based on “defensive runs saved” and “Total Zone Rating.”
Adam Jones’ dWAR: -1.3
3. Mike Trout’s FRAA: 8.6
What is FRAA? Fielding Runs Above Average, developed by Baseball Prospectus is compiled using play-by-play data to judge the number of plays made by this player compared to the average player at the same position. Adjustments are made (to the average) based on position, handedness, park factors, and base-out scenarios.
Adam Jones’ FRAA: 6.4
4. Mike Trout’s Fielding Percentage: .993
What is Fielding Percentage? The old school defensive metric simply attempts to calculate the percentage of times a player properly handles a batted or thrown ball. Calculated by the sum of putouts and assists, divided by the number of total chances.
Adam Jones’ Fielding Percentage: .982
5. Adam Jones had 2 errors for every 1 of Mike Trout’s
Trout had 4, the same number of home runs he ROBBED in 2012, and Jones had 8, more than his number of assists (7).
Managers and Coaches who voted on the Gold Glove,
Everyone who’s been paying attention.
- BuzzFeed News has identified a second member of the ISIS execution cell led by "Jihadi John."