On Sunday, 75 volunteers from BuzzFeed and The Church of St. Paul the Apostle teamed up to serve hot meals from Boston Market with a heaping side of hospitality to over 300 of our homeless and hungry neighbors right here in Manhattan.
2. 11:00am, volunteers prepared the dining room for 300+ guests!
Quick! Every table needs chairs, a tablecloth, dinnerware, and cups. Don’t forget the goldfish crackers and peanuts. Hurry, the guests are arriving in 90 minutes!
3. 11:45am, volunteers circled up for a welcome speech from Fr. Gil Martinez (pastor of St. Paul’s)
4. The Rockettes and Stephen Colbert performed a dance routine…
Just kidding, but this is the same room where Colbert filmed his epic “Get Lucky” video last summer!
5. 12:15pm, BuzzFeed volunteers paused for a quick group photo…
Greeters and seaters, plus Jason and Katy who organized the event and helped keep it running smoothly!
8. 12:20pm, the welcome table is ready for action!
9. 12:25pm, the food prep team is ready to dish out the good stuff
Just five minutes until guests arrive!
10. 12:30pm, guests arrive and lunch is served!
Guests enjoyed a hearty meal from Boston Market with meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, and cornbread. The food prep team stayed busy dishing up over 600 meals (including second helpings) until 2pm!
11. 12:30-2:00pm, hundreds and hundreds of meals were served. Many volunteers took time to sit, chat, and swap stories with guests…
(Out of respect for privacy we refrain from posting pictures with guests, but this epic tale from Brave is pretty much the same ;-)